Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Anybody still playing WOW?

www.boardgamegeek.com

i can give you about 8000 suggestions, and just to give an example, civilization was a board game first. a lot of empire/economic pc games play out strikingly similar to board games. for example, railroad tycoon. tons of it could be contrasted with the game 'age of steam', which has just been modestly adapted to become 'railroad tycoon: the board game' by eagle games. age of steam drew heavily from the 18XX railroad games, which also predate the railroad tycoon video game.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 PM

AOE III just came out also. I need a new computer before I can run either this or Civ IV.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:36 PM

I'm thinking of something to play on the puter though, Astro, when I'm bleary and at weird hours, not something you have to plan ahead and gather a group for. I don't know anybody who plays board games anyway. Thanks though.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM

I've got an ATI 9800 Pro 128 meg card and an Athlon XP 3000, and I'm thinking that's getting on the low end of things for top-end games. And from what I remember of Civ 2, it was rough on good computers at the time. I've seen repeated reviews mentioning AOE 3 slowing down, too.

[ QUOTE ]
If there was a picture there I can't see it. I have most image sites blocked so only see at most half the pics people put up. And I have avatars turned off.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a photobucket picture.

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anybody who plays board games anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

so you take your existing friends and get them to start. i've done it with tons of people.

railroad tycoon might be interesting to you, i'd suggest downloading the demo.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an ATI 9800 Pro 128 meg card and an Athlon XP 3000, and I'm thinking that's getting on the low end of things for top-end games. And from what I remember of Civ 2, it was rough on good computers at the time. I've seen repeated reviews mentioning AOE 3 slowing down, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW my friends/aoe clan mates are saying good things about age of empires III at this point. I haven't bought it yet personally and didn't like the demo but it's sounding pretty good. The gamerankings rating is pretty decent as well:

url

I don't know how quickly it will run on your system though. I assume probably ok until you break the ~100 unit mark.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM

Anyone gonna try City of Villians? I thought about it. I haven't been addicted to an MMORPG in 4 or 5 years.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone gonna try City of Villians? I thought about it. I haven't been addicted to an MMORPG in 4 or 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMORPGs are the devil.

/former DAoC addict
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad all these ones out now are like methadone. Haven't had much fun in a mmorpg since pre-Luclin EQ. Not that I've tried many. Lineage 2 very briefly and WoW for a bit longer. Both poor substitutes [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. From the reviews and such that I read no others look worthwhile either. At least until Vanguard. Man I wish they hadn't destroyed the fun of EQ so thoroughly.