Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

Can't TV's that are 1080p display 720i just fine too?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, I'm not sure. I think some can, some can't. basically, I recommend people doing a search at avs forum when they find a model they like, to see what the geeks over there have to say. those people are pic-ky. if it's ok over there, it's ok for you.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, I'm not sure. I think some can, some can't. basically, I recommend people doing a search at avs forum when they find a model they like, to see what the geeks over there have to say. those people are pic-ky. if it's ok over there, it's ok for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the last point, but it's the reverse that I think is more important, and more difficult. It's when the geeks say "i would never buy this TV...it doesn't upconvert the DXT into 1068x869 with a satellite feed overdriver with a ZDMC" that folks like me are left scratching their heads and thinking "Ok...but do I care if I just wanna watch some football and DVDs?"

For example, I think I've deduced thusfar that I want something with HDMI input. But frankly, I'm not even 100% positive of that. Reason I bring it up is the WEstinghouse TV some folks have pointed to in this thread has no HDMI input.

The suggestions have been very helpful thusfar though to a relative TV dunce like myself.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM

This is the 200 pound monster you speak of.

Sony KD-36XS955

Incredible picture on both Standard and HDTV. Also comes in a 16:9 version, slightly more expensive. I recommend this one because so much of TV is still in standard 4:3 mode and this will give a good picture for that. The 36" 4:3 is the same picture size as the 34" 16:9 in HD mode.

If the 200 lb problem doesn't bother you, you'll be hard pressed to beat the picture, and it puts most, if not all, flat screens to shame, even the $4000 ones.

I'm waiting for DirecTV to come out with our locals in HD, should be next year. Then it's HD Direct TiVo time, they're down to $579 or so.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM

I recently bought one and did a lot of research ahead of time, so I'll throw in my two cents.

For your price range, you can get a 42" or smaller RPLCD, DLP, or CRT. CRT are the cheapest of those. Flat panel LCD or plasma are > $2k.

If you don't want the weight, then eliminate CRT. However, you said that's not a deal breaker. So here's your choice: CRT offers better picture quality, especially with standard definition, but will weigh 150-200 lbs compared to 65 for RPLCD or DLP.

You are going to want to spend some time in the store watching SD material. Note that SD quality varies from channel to channel, program to program. So try many different sources/shows. Some SD stuff looks great on my RPLCD, some sucks. ALso note that digital cable stations and satellite stations in SD are going to look better than analog stations. And make sure when you check them out in stores, you view from the same distance that you'll be at in your living room.

Viewing angle may or may not be important to you. If you want to be able to see the picture from less than straight on, then RPLCD > DLP > CRT.

LCD and DLP have advantages and disadvantages. Google "DLP vs LCD" and such and you'll see the pros/cons. Things to look for: rainbow effect, black levels, screen door effect (SDE).

Once you decide on your desired technology, find a few models from bestbuy.com or amazon or something. Then I would search avsforum.com for those models. That place can be hard to wade through, so I recommend google for researching technologies and then avsforum for specific models. When you're reading, note the dates that articles were written because a lot of issues from the past have been improved upon/corrected in recent months/years.

Lastly, FWIW I got a Sony KDFE42A10 RPLCD a couple weeks ago. Brief review:
HD - No complaints. Looks fantastic.
SD - (DirecTV) some things look awful, like golf. But most programs range somewhere between decent and very good. I came from a 27" Wega non-hd crt which had a tremendous picture, so I had high standards. Black levels are not very good and shadow detail is weak, but I'm getting used to it.
DVD - I have a non-progressive, non-upconverting dvd player, so the tv is doing the upconverting/deinterlacing. 24 is really all I've watched so far. It doesn't look as good as HD stuff, but it looks far better than SD programming. In other words, it's very good. Would possibly be even better with a better DVD player. Black level issues are present but less noticeable than SD tv stuff.

Hope this helps and isn't too long.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most have a native resolution, meaning it's one or the other - 720p or 1080i. No matter the source, it will convert it and output at its native res.
Most people say it's hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. The standard response is that 720p is better for things with a lot of movement like sports. 1080p is very new and very expensive, and aside from downloading stuff from the internet, there is no source material in 1080p. HD DVDs may change that relatively soon, but broadcasters are a long long way from it. So it's probably not worth the money now unless you have an HTPC and access to content.

I believe all DLP and RPLCD are 720p, while many/most CRTs are 1080i, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 PM

One last thing:
Burn-in. This is not nearly the problem it once was, but still can be an issue depending on who you ask. I refuse to watch 4:3 stuff in "stretch" mode, so I eliminated CRT as an option because I didn't want to worry about burn-in with the black bars on the sides. RPLCD and DLP are not subject to it.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps and isn't too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect, actually.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 42" Sony HD LCD and I am VERY VERY VERY VERY happy with it. I am also in an apartment, and I'm about 5-6 feet away from it on the couch. It is AWESOME in Hi-Definition, everything from sports to regular prime time programming.

The only negative is that standard definition just sucks. I don't know if it's because Hi-Def stuff is just so awesome, but it really sucks to go from Hi-Def to regular programming. I also don't know if you're going to have that with EVERY Hi-Def set or not, but I have read in other "research" that LCDs are particularly bad for that.

As for cost - I bought mine at the beginning of the year when they were listed at $2300. Talked down Circuit City to $2050. DEFINITELY NEGOTIATE with this type of large purchase. I believe they're listed at like $1900 now, so I'd suspect you can pick them up for $1700 or so?

The only thing I'd caution is to be careful of the extras. I have DirecTV, so it was a couple hundred extra for the Hi-Def receiver. I had to buy an antenna to get Hi-Def locals, and that was like $50. If you're a TIVO guy, their Hi-Def box is extra. You WANT the good cables when you go to hook everything up, and they're expensive (I spent $75 each on cables to hook up my Hi-Def box and my PS2).

The other "extra" with LCDs is that the bulbs burn out. And they're a couple hundred bucks each. I bought the Circuit City service plan, which has unlimited bulb replacement for 3 years.

In summary, I LOVE my TV - you'd be very happy with a 42" in that "small" of a space, and the picture on my Sony LCD is AMAZING.

No matter what you go with though - consider the extras. They add up REALLY fast

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 51" version and I agree with everything posted. And yes, the HD Sat stuff can add up expecially with the Tivo option.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:09 PM

bump for the after-work crowd...plus I think it's a quesiton that applies to a lot of us