Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Strange Home Game SnG format

In my local home game they use a strange format. Everyone starts with 1000 chips with blinds at 25/50, however everytime someone is knocked out the blinds double which leads for a very crazy finish.

The number of players in the game ranges from 6 to 10. The payout is normally 10 for 2nd the rest for 1st unless there are 10 players in which case it is 60/30/10

Most players in this game are also very loose which makes it difficult to steal blinds at bubble time.

I would be interested to hear suggestions as to the best way to approach this format.

I have in general been playing very tight early and uber aggressive as the blinds reach level 3 i.e. 100/200, but am now starting to think that i should be loosening it up early in an attempt to build a big stack.

sorry for the ramble. I will be very nterested in all comments
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Strange Home Game SnG format

I think the number of players and the payout structure would be very important here.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 PM

Any comments. Please
Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 PM

bump. one final try
Old 09-13-2005, 03:03 PM

you might try answering durrons question
Old 09-13-2005, 03:05 PM

get new friends. they're jerks if they won't let you steal their blinds.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you might try answering durrons question

[/ QUOTE ]

He did answer my question, he edited the OP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I dunno, I played in a tourney similar to this and I tried LAGging it up. It worked ok but I had hot cards too. The blind structure was fast but not effected by busting players.

Honestly I think once two players are gone it makes stealing blinds very important. Are they loose/stupid or just loose? If they are loose stupid I think you are going to have to try to see lots of flops with speculative hands like suited connectors and hope you hit. With the steep payout structure you are going to need to accumulate chips and if you are shortstacked with 100/200 you are going to be pretty screwed. Plus headsup will be a total crapshoot.

I think the key here will be to press marginal edges to try to build a stack. Take early coinflips with pocket pairs. Call a raise in level 1 if there are already 3 people in with a suited connector, that kind of stuff. Don't be afraid to get all the chips in on a flop with 2 overs + flush draw, or pair + flush draw.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:26 PM

I would say 60% are loose and 40% loose stupid. I have also tried suggesting that 1st place doesn't get so much of the prize fund so that it will create a more effective bubble, but i haven't had any luck yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]