Default Re: Keg Suggestions

Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 AM

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] boddingtons
Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't really help, but I was wondering how long the beer stays good in your kegerator. A week? Longer?

[/ QUOTE ]
It'll be good for at least 6 months. Beyond that I'm unsure, since its never sat around that long. But, assuming your lines are clean, the beer is staying cool, pressurized, and sealed. There's really not anything to ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much of a hassle is it to clean the lines clean? I'd like to have something set up, but there are two things that are stopping me. The first is that I don't have any good place to put it unless I put the unit down in my basement and run the lines upstairs from there. The second is that I don't actually sit at home and drink a lot of beer, so it'd have to keep well for a decent amount of time and I'd want to have at least two if not three different beers at any given time. If it keeps for months, that'd solve the second problem. Ambition and easy maintenance solves the first.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of a hassle is it to clean the lines clean?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not much, really. First, with just about any keg, the commonly recommended cleaning is in between kegs. If you have commercial kegs running more or less continuously, this may not be as important, as beer should be constantly in the lines at 40 degrees or less. Second, most of the info on this that you'll find is from homebrewers, who are a notoriously germaphobic group, understandably. If youve got homebrews, you definitely want to run sanitizer through your lines every keg. I'm sure that the average homebrewer would do it more often if it was more practical.

As for running your lines from a basement to a kitchen... go for it! The pressure isn't a problem, as you can just set your CO2 to whatever you need to pump it. A bigger problem, as you alluded, is keeping the beer cool along the way, so it isn't excessively foamy. As far as I can tell, there are several solutions from this, ranging from wrapping the lines in some sort of insolation to taping a line of another coolant to your beer line and using a pond pump to pump the coolant up there with your beer. Essentially, it depends on how far you've got to go and how far you're willing to go to reduce pouring problems.

I suck at "handyman" type stuff and I've managed to figure a lot out, so I would imagine an engineer would do as well or better with less effort.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] boddingtons

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2005, 02:16 AM

Bummer about the lack of some of your favorites in TN. I'm sipping a Stone IPA pulled from my cheapo Haier Kegerator at this very moment.

If it makes you feel better, even we here in SoCal can only get Ruination on draught in June. They don't keg it year 'round.

So we're stuck having Pliny the Elder and Racer 5 and Alesmith IPA, etc. Oh yeah, and the Pizza Port brews too.

As for asking the distributor, it depends on the laws in your state. Here, I would call a store where I buy kegs and ask them to order a keg of such and such.

The distributor is probably ordering their allocation of Summerfest all at once. So either they're getting some or not. I would assume Summerfest is done by now.

The Paulaner Hefe is quite delicious and since imported by Star Brands, they've gotta be in TN.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:24 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Shiner Bock.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It runs me whatever I can get a freezer for cheap off of classifieds, plus parts. Seriously, building one is a snap and commercial ones are seriously overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so what are the parts exactly? Is there an online resource for this? I'd love to do it but I am retarted when it comes to this kind of stuff. My roommate is pretty handy but I think he'll be just as happy to throw down some dough on a commercial one, cause he's got it.

NT
Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It runs me whatever I can get a freezer for cheap off of classifieds, plus parts. Seriously, building one is a snap and commercial ones are seriously overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so what are the parts exactly? Is there an online resource for this? I'd love to do it but I am retarted when it comes to this kind of stuff. My roommate is pretty handy but I think he'll be just as happy to throw down some dough on a commercial one, cause he's got it.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but imagine how badass it would be if you got one of those big chest freezers and filled it with however many pony kegs you can squeeze in there and then run about 10 taps to your kitchen/living room.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes