Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: CardPlayer Quiz

wtf, my first thought in the turn on this hand (without reads) is to reraise.

you would have heard from a pair on the flop methinks.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10-20 live is a lot different than what most people here play which is 2-4, 3-6 online. Sure you'll likely encounter better players at 10-20 than we do online.

No way in hell I fold in 2-4 in that spot. Just couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Live 10-20 players really suck. I'm not sure about 2-4, but I can say with confidence that 90% of 3-6 online tables I've played are harder than the average live 10-20 table I've played. I played 10-20 last night at Turning Stone and in the course of 7 hours of play and probably 15 opponents I didn't encounter a single player who could play at all.

By the way, this advice is one case where Ciaffone and Jim Brier can best be likened to 4 year old girls. Easy call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I posted it here. 10-20 live games are not full of decent players. In my experience it is similar to internet up to 5-10. IMO at 20-40 and higher is where they start getting a little tighter/better.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, my first thought in the turn on this hand (without reads) is to reraise.

you would have heard from a pair on the flop methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably just call down. Reraise here to me is one of those situations where you only get called by hands that beat you, since you have clearly announced a strong hand yourself. At least by calling, you save some bets when you are behind and possibly induce bluffs when you are ahead.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems incredibly weak to me. Maybe if you had some read on him as a super good player.

If he's an idiot he might have thought: "Hey I just paired my ace, maybe he has a pocket pair, I'll raise!".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he be an idiot for thinking this way? I'd play KK the same way as AK in this spot. If he cold called with AQ or AJ, a raise might help him define this hand.

I probably call down here, maybe 3-bet depending on what I thought of the player.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM

yeah, i wont always 3-bet. but people cold call with all sorts of crap. some of these guys see and ace and think "that probably scares him more than me" and raise their pocket pair.

depends on the guy...but either way folding is just horrible in this spot.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM

You caught me on that A9. I quoted in haste. Assuming it is a good player, you're probably up against a set.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems incredibly weak to me. Maybe if you had some read on him as a super good player.

If he's an idiot he might have thought: "Hey I just paired my ace, maybe he has a pocket pair, I'll raise!".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he be an idiot for thinking this way? I'd play KK the same way as AK in this spot. If he cold called with AQ or AJ, a raise might help him define this hand.

I probably call down here, maybe 3-bet depending on what I thought of the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't he be an "idiot" because he is doing what I was avoiding by not 3 betting? He is raising with an ace that should only get called if it is behind. Idiot may be too strong a term, but raising with the ace is probably a mistake unless the preflop raiser is a very loose player.

I don't really agree with defining your hand on the turn either. Better to do that on a cheap street.