Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Saved by God?

Can you get me started?

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-05-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth should this be true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bible
Old 09-05-2005, 08:16 PM

udontknowmickey, thanks for trying to clear things up for me but I have to admit that I'm still confused by this, but maybe it's just me. Your valient effort may have cleared things up for others though so it's all good. I just don't think I'll ever understand any fuzzy line between the notion that god supposedly has my destiny sewn up beforehand but what I do matters in some way to the determination of my destiny. Or the line between the notion that I'll be judged by what I do and the idea that god already knows what i'm going to do, which to me means that I don't have free will. In all honesty, I admit that I haven't taken the time and effort to study and deeply think about all the nuances and twists and turns on this free will issue. I'll also admit that I personally see enough illogical thinking related to much of organized religious thinking that I do not have the motivation to ever try to understand some of this stuff if it requires significant effort on my part as I feel I would be trying to grasp one aspect of a religion that I already have many other differences of opinion on. Therefore I would likely never convert even if I came to the point where some of these differences vanished for me. Just my personal belief.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Yes, but it is also surprising when you don't just think about every other religion that currently exists. Any student of history will realize that every single religion that was small, medium sized, or largely popular has come and gone over the many many centuries. So this fact should also give people extreme pause as this conversation dialog could occur with the second person throughout the history of mankind.