Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Party 500k hand Equal vs. MLG... I want his BB!

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a terrific play whether you had a K, a 9, or a complete nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously wrong. Equal says he pushed, but the fact is that whatever action this miniraise provoked from Equal it is not both what MLG wanted if he had a 9 or if he had nothing.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:16 PM

An aggressive player will often play a 9 this way, hell he might play KK this way if he thinks its the right time to do it,as this post shows betting here is the best way to hide strength.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its a mistake to assume that very aggresive players dont play fast on the flop with their good hands too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the main reason I cash in MTT's.

Bet with crap, bet with the nuts and keep them guessing.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a terrific play whether you had a K, a 9, or a complete nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously wrong. Equal says he pushed, but the fact is that whatever action this miniraise provoked from Equal it is not both what MLG wanted if he had a 9 or if he had nothing.

[/ QUOTE ] That sounds results-oriented to me.

I think Equal's push was wrong, in that the odds that MLG was bluffing did not justify the push. So, regardless as to whether MLG was bluffing or not, he put Equal to a difficult decision and Equal made the wrong decision.

Sometimes Equal's push will work out, and sometimes it will not. If it happened to work this particular time, fine. But in the long run, I think it's a losing play.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM

PF: I make this 24K against most people. Against MLG, I might just open limp (I've been experimenting with limping/betting any flop and it seems to work OK) or fold.

No way do I bet this flop because I'm getting CR'd with air and because against MLG I'd check anything except a king (9, aces, 22...anything.)
Old 08-19-2005, 04:55 PM

I disagree. Equal represented strength before the flop. He represented strength after the flop. If he pushes he represents even more strength. Your focused on whether MLG can beat Equals hand. I don't think thats right. I think the focus should be on what hands MLG can hold that he'll call a push with.

Put yourself in MLG's position on this. Even though Equal is in a position to steal he's still represented strength. His range of hands here can be quite large. About the only hands MLG can have here where he doesn't sweat calling is 9x, AA, AK, and possibly KQ. Any other Kx he's slightly worried about Equal having a better kicker. Ax he's worried about Equal having a better kicker or a K. Even a pocket pair and he's worried Equal has a bigger pocket pair.

The push puts the onus on MLG to decide if he wants to call off essentially his entire stack when it's possible he's already beaten. There was a lot of easy targets at the table and MLG can probably find a better spot to build his chips than this hand.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:06 PM

My disclaimer will be that you all are better than me.

However, knowing MLG to be aggressive it's hard to necessarily give him credit for a hand here. I probably check behind in this spot, but if he pulls off a minraise I don't hate the push.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds results-oriented to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't. MLG's raise was obviously designed to provoke some goal. Either he:

1) Is value raising and/or trying to induce a bluff OR
2) Is bluffing and wants Equal to either fold or call and check the turn at which point MLG can likely take it away.

Either MLG succeeded or he failed. Either he has a hand or he doesn't. What we do know is that MLG's raise caused Equal to go over the top with Ace-small. That means it must not have been correct if MLG had air.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 PM

I think the way to go here to play it like you have a K or a 9. If you had either you would most likely check behind and raise the turn. So if you feel like bluffing MLG here I suggest playing it that way. Play this hand like you have a K or 9.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no way is it a bluff more than 50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

MLG bet 60K to win 72K and forced his opponent to play for his whole stack without jeopardizing his own stack. He can certainly be bluffing more than 50% of the time.