Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Default bumpity n/t

Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Party 500k hand Equal vs. MLG... I want his BB!

Good post, I vaguely remember seeing this hand.

I haven't played with MLG before but I did spend a decent amount of time watching him in this tournament after I busted out.

I don't like the small initial raise. Your giving him a little more than two to one to call. I've seen him get into this position and come out on top several times this tournament. In fact, I almost think he prefers to be up against the big stack here because he excels at this exact type of move.

My gut reaction is to push. I think there is a decent chance he has a K or mid-low pocket pair but I think it's much more likely he's putting you to the test. I think a call here is horrible as he's likely to push the turn and you lose the ability to be first in and make him think for all his chips. Folding would be the safe play but thats screws you going forward as far as getting any of his blinds. In addition, he'll probably be looking to get into some more pots with you in the future to beat on you some more.

Your analysis is pretty much the same as mine is above. Very tough decision. In the end, I think I push and hope for the best.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I guess I misread your post title as the reason you raised is because it WAS MLG, I do agree you have to steal sometimes and you are going to have to go through him to do that.
In these situations I would leave his BB alone with anything other than a premium hand, but liberaly steal from one or two off the button.( Hes less likely to play back at you with rags in the SB )

As it turned out I would stand by my earlier post and check along or raise any bet from him.

p.s I didnt think you tried this so you post on here, but maybe because it was MLG you pushed a marginal situation rather than take the tournament situation into consideration.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Well, MLG is representing a hand of great strength and unfortunately, your hand is a piece of crap. So many ways he can beat you besides the obvious nine or king. A pocket pair or an Ace with a better kicker.

Your push will only work if you have the better hand. In other words, if he calls your push, you have almost certainly lost. So, by pushing, you are either going to win 132,000 (what's in the pot at the moment) or lose 130,000 (the rest of your chips). So he needs to be bluffing in this spot more than 50% of the time for this push to be profitable.

I think those odds are too poor to justify this push. This type of exchange might represent a bluff 10-20% of the time, but no way is it a bluff more than 50% of the time.

It feels like MLG had your number in this hand and put you to a difficult decision. The flop on this hand helped him tremendously, and he used it to his advantage. If you pushed and he folded, then you got lucky.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:45 PM

I might muck this preflop, but if I'm raising I'm going to make it a bit more. MLG is calling here with almost any two for the amount you raised.

This flop is so easy for MLG to check raise you off of since if you don't have a K, a 9, or AA, it's tough to continue. This makes me think he's bluffing, so I don't mind your push. I also think against a player like MLG just calling his check raise is okay too. Isn't that how you'd play a 9 or a big K? That way, if he bets the turn you can be pretty sure he's got a big hand and fold. I think it'd be hard for him to bluff the turn after you flat call.

colson10
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM

This moves takes mucho cajones. And I think it's the correct move.

MLG's not playing a 9 this way, and I doubt he minraises a K. Good play.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:02 PM

I am playing a 9 this way. Its a mistake to assume that very aggresive players dont play fast on the flop with their good hands too.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 PM

You really muck A5o when folded to you on the button?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing a 9 this way. Its a mistake to assume that very aggresive players dont play fast on the flop with their good hands too.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought it was a terrific play whether you had a K, a 9, or a complete nothing.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really muck A5o when folded to you on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the situation, against an aggressive player who will defend his BB strongly and is one of the few players in the tourney who can really hurt you I'd fold a lot better than A5.

I would also raise from the cut off or earlier with a lot worse against smaller stacks/weaker players.