Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Party 500k hand Equal vs. MLG... I want his BB!

From last Sunday's 500k Party guaranteed tourney. 2200 entrants and we are down to 4 tables. I'm motoring along fairly well... and had a rush of good cards in the right situations over the last little while to take the chip lead at the table and second overall.

The 5th table just got broken down and MLG gets moved two seats to my left. He had been chip leader earlier took a hit, but recently has come back and is the chip leader again.

The money is the same for 31-40 and we have about 40 players left. I am playing to win, not to squeak up the money list.

I knew right away that stealing blinds from him was not going to be easy because I was sure he was going to test me.

Also, we both had been posting on the 2p2 thread for this tourney so he probably knows I am a 2p2'er.

The second hand he plays he makes a 2.5BB raise and then calls a short stacks all-in. He loses with ATs and now he is around my chip level.

The first five hands we play together I fold except for when it's folded to my BB.

The sixth hand we play it's folded to me on the button.

Blinds: 4000/8000
Equal (me): 192,000
MLG: 184,000

I get dealt A5o and raise to 19,000. MLG calls.

The flop comes K99 rainbow and there's 42,000 in the pot. MLG checks, and I bet 30,000. MLG raises to 60,000 leaving him with 100,000 behind.

I have about 130,000 left. It 30,000 for me to call, and the pot is now 132,000.

I figure he's testing me since he's new to the table and wants me to back off from his BB. Also, he may know I'm a 2p2 and that I might fold anything but a great hand when he makes this raise.

So I push.

Good or no good?

MLG, if you read this, can you hold off on responding for a day or two?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Party 500k hand Equal vs. MLG... I want his BB!

ugggg.

I feel like the metagame might have messed with your head.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugggg.

I feel like the metagame might have messed with your head.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 AM

So are you saying I should just let go once I get min-raised on the flop? Or should I have just checked behind and seen the turn?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:26 AM

That board is the perfect spot for MLG to make a bluff raise. There is no need to fire a bet that large, if any at all. I would have preferred checking the flop and possibly minraising his bet on the turn. With that board, the player who puts the last bet/miniraise in will usually take the pot down.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That board is the perfect spot for MLG to make a bluff raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why it's also a great spot to value raise.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:42 AM

I think it's a good push. I think he folds about 98% of the hands that do not have a K or 9 which means he folds much more than the 50% of the time you need to be profitable.

I like it even though I'm pretty sure it didn't work out this time. Oh, that tricky MLG... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Later,
Che
Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 AM

Personally I would have folded pre-flop, with a marginal hand why mess with a guy who,
a: is the only guy on the table who can hurt you
b: you know to be an agressive player
c: is one of the better players left

After the flop I'm happy to check along, you have the option to raise any turn or river bet MLG might throw at you whatever cards come, and you would know more about his hand if he called/raised you.

As it panned out I think you get called by if Mike has a K a 9 or a PP (though if he had a PP he probably reraises pre flop)
All of which put you in serious trouble.

Like the title of your post,are you really playing this because you want to say you outplayed MLG or are you playing it because you think its the correct play?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 AM

Whitey you make some good points. However, I don't think it's quite feasible to avoid MLG when he's two to my left. I have to steal sometimes, and I should be a little more active since I'm one of the two big stacks.

If I can't raise without a legit hand when MLG is the BB, then can I steal when he's the SB? Or should I avoid that too?

I definitely don't think I was trying to "outplay" MLG so I could run and post it on 2p2 or anything like that.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 AM

Your right you are going to have to play with MLG at some point and you would prefer to play him in position.

I'm not real sure though what your trying to acomplish with the flop bet. There are very few times when he is going to lay this down on the flop and I also think your building a big pot with an aggressive player that will have no problem risking all of his chips in this spot. What do you do here if he calls and then pushes the turn?

A check behind on the flop is fine. If the turn brings an A,K or total blank (2-8) I would re-raise his normal turn bet and call a smallish turn bet.

If the river blanks as well I think you will probably see a check on the river or a smallish value bet if he has something.