Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: The Suffering God

"This is older than Sklanskianity which itself is older than the hills. Adam and Eve blamed God for their sin."

Sklanskyanity doesn't blame God for anything. Sklanskyanity's opinion (by normal people's standards) of God is higher than your opinion of God.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sklanskyanity doesn't blame God for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't say it does, just that it isn't new.

[ QUOTE ]

Sklanskyanity's opinion (by normal people's standards) of God is higher than your opinion of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:06 PM

Sklanskyanity's opinion (by normal people's standards) of God is higher than your opinion of God.

"Nonsense."

Something tells me you would say that. Remember now that we are not talking about your own perception but rather typical people's perception. Here are three reason's why I think most people would agree that Sklanskyanity has a higher opinion of God than other religions.

1. God doesn't require worshipping him or even believing in him to reward people. He only requires that they follow the Golden Rule.

2. God doesn't make it easy to "file for bankrupcy". He requires good deeds to outweigh the bad. If you come to this realization late in life past bad deeds are not totally forgotten (but there is an allowance made if making up for them is physically impossible). Furthermore punihment and reward is not either total bliss or torment. Someone who is just a little more good than bad is treated differently than the physicians of Doctors without Borders.

3. God had to work harder to make the universe than just speak it. Because he is not totally omnipotent he deserves credit for the brilliant way he set things up that resulted in logical consistency regarding quarks, E=mc squared, DNA etc. He also gave up any ability to see the future so that we could have free will. He did this by creating subatomic particles that even he can't predict except statistically. He is irritated with fawning sychophants who ascribe to him an all powerfulness that would allow him to have the universe anyway he wanted just from a mere thought of his. But he won't punish them as long as they don't try to use this hero worship as an excuse for not doing the good deeds that are required to make up for the bad ones that often were the real reason for their "conversion".

And remember I only said that the above three opinions regarding God are high opinions in most people's minds. I'm not debating whether most people are right. I am also not, for now, debating whether Sklanskyanity precepts are correct or even make sense. I just am asserting that these precepts exhibit a high regard for God in most people's minds.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 AM

Phrased that way you're probably right because neither Skl..ity nor most people believe in God.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 AM

Am I correct in thinking that your stance about my three points is:

"there is nothing inherently wrong with them except for the fact that that is not what the bible says"
Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 AM

"neither Skl..ity nor most people believe in God."

Am I correct in thinking that that includes most people who SAY they believe in God? Does it include all devout Jews? Does it most likely include BluffThis? What about Peter666? (I know it includes Pair The Board. He's worse than me.)
Old 08-12-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"there is nothing inherently wrong with them except for the fact that that is not what the bible says"

[/ QUOTE ]

Since our knowledge of God is from the Bible, this statement makes no sense. If the Bible isn't true, nothing is either inherently right or wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

Am I correct in thinking that that includes most people who SAY they believe in God? Does it include all devout Jews? Does it most likely include BluffThis? What about Peter666? (I know it includes Pair The Board. He's worse than me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't judge what any indidual actually believes but will gladly comment on any statement they make. You would have to specify what devout Jews state. As far as I can tell BluffThis and I agree on God's nature. I don't know Peter666. PTB's statements are consistent with atheism or pantheism, which are mostly indistinguishable when compared to the Biblical God.

What were you thinking most people think about God?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:40 AM

"As far as I can tell BluffThis and I agree on God's nature."

I'm not so sure he would agree. He specifically said that God will sometimes save those who disbelieve in him due to thouights that to them, make it reasonable to do so.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He specifically said that God will sometimes save those who disbelieve in him due to thouights that to them, make it reasonable to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say we agree on all points of doctrine. I think we more or less agree on the nature of God as usually set forth in orthodox Christianity concerning His attributes. But I'm just guessing.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:57 AM

So the disagreement I mentioned isn't enough to keep HIM from being saved? Would udon'tknowmickey agree with that?

Also; You don't know who Peter666 is? I need you to meet each other. Search fo his posts if you don't mind and give me your opinion.