Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Would you have said anything? (Players asks to see mucked cards)

Game: Turningstone 1-3 Hold'em ("7 to the river!").

Players: Small pot, maybe $10 or so, and it's heads up after the post-flop betting, between a loose passive, older-guy calling station (although he'll donkishly throw $2 out usually if checked to) and a weak-tight 20-something (knows what hands to raise and play pre-flop, but pretty bad post-flop player).

Hand: flop is Kxx. Turn x. River 2. The kid flips over K2 for the rivered 2-pair. Old guy mucks. Kid asks to see old guys cards. Dealer explains the implications if the cards are in fact a winner, etc. Kid undesrtand and says "that's fine...I just wanna know what he had."

I'm in Seat 4. Kid is in seat 7. People around me are confused as to what's going on. I explain to them he has the right to see, but it's really there to invoke in cases of suspected collusion, and how I think it's kind of a cheap move (who the hell needs to see what a chip dispenser at 1-3 is mucking??).

Rather than being smart and keeping my mouth shut, I give a sarcastic "What? Did you think he was cheating?" down to the kid. He responds with an irritated "What's your problem? I just wanted to know what he had." I just kinda laugh and shake my head, saying no more. He responds with "What are you laughing at? Why don't you just shut the hell up?"

Then he gives me a line I'm still trying to figure out. I had a Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets minor league team) cap on, and he looks at me and says: "What are you, in the hat of the month club or something?"

And that was it. Nothing else between us. He left a little while later.

Do you say anything in that situation where the spirit of the rule is clearly being violated (especially when he makes it a point to say he's doing it just to see what the other guy had)?

Thoughts? (Sorry for the long post)
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Would you have said anything? (Players asks to see mucked cards)

I probably would have spouted back, "I'm laughing at you clown. You won the pot, now shut your face."
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM

I'm pretty sure the correct answer involves: Robert DeNiro, a hammer, and that kid's broken hands.

LDT
Old 08-01-2005, 10:49 AM

The kid probably just didn't know any better. People who play in a lot of home games don't realize that not everyone shows their hand at showdown. Your remark probably went way over his head so he went into defensive mode. Since you were across the table from him you probably should have just kept your mouth shut. If I was siiting next to the kid I would have tried to politely explain to him that what he did was bad ettiquette.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM

Some old guy asked to see my hand this weekend -- and then proceeded to ask me if I learned poker from TV.

Friggin' nits. But, at least it was comedy gold for me.

They also thought that making me show a losing set was going to tilt me at 2/4. Yeah, that's gonna do it.

-d
Old 08-01-2005, 10:57 AM

No, I wouldn't have said anything.
You opened your mouth and inserted yourself where you did not belong and made matters worse.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 AM

STFU and play cards.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't be upset at what you did, but I would normally say leave it for when he's asking to see your hand, especially when he's on the other end of the table. That said, once you said it, I'd back you up. If he were sitting next to you, a polite explanation of the intent of the rule would not be out of order.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Do rail birds have the right to ask to see cards?

Same thing happened at a no limit $100 tourney in NYC. When I say rail bird, I mean a guy who was in the hand pre-flop but folded asked to see the guys cards when he lossed the hand and mucked at showdown. Can a guy who isn't in the hand still make this request? I thought it was odd and created an awkward situation when the mucker was asking why he had to show when he wanted to muck.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM

The hat of the month club line is stupid but in cracked me up anyway. What a donk, all deadly seriously at a $3 table.

Jeff