Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Party 50/100 Weird Blind Battle

Villian is a 29/19 loose-aggressive player and I'm happy to be directly to his left. He's one of three players who are the reason why I'm staying at the table.

How's my turn and river play? If I bet the turn, do I bet the river, because I sure felt like betting it. This was my first time playing 50/100 and maybe I was playing a little weaker than I normally would. I am never quite sure what to do in these blind battles.

Opinions please.

Party Poker 50/100 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Party 50/100 Weird Blind Battle

It rather depends on your image and whether you think you have sufficient folding equity to push him off whatever he's got (it might be Jx in which case he's just been counterfeited and is playing the board). Since he didn't raise the turn, it doesn't look like he's got a Q, so as long as I didn't have a LAG image I'd bet the river to push him off once in a while. He didn't raise preflop so he's unlikely to have an Ace, I reckon a river bet is almost free....
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 AM

it feels like if he has a king in this spot, he lead/3 bets flop, perhaps check/raise/cap...but not the line he took, the queen doesn't feel like a possibility since he took the check call line, it definitely feels like he has a T, maybe two spades as well or now a counterfeited jack. All of which would make a bet on the river the play. I presume a bet on the river in this spot picks up the pot at least 75% of the time, the other 25% of the time being when he limps with an ace.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 AM

seems like it is way too likely that you are chopping for you to check the river. bet and give him a chance to fold half the pot.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:22 AM

wow you really really really should have bet that river. that's a great river for your hand because youve represented a big hand and can get him to fold a ruined hand like JT or something.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow you really really really should have bet that river. that's a great river for your hand because youve represented a big hand and can get him to fold a ruined hand like JT or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was expecting a reply along these lines lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there any reason to check the turn through? Or is it an auto-bet?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:48 AM

I think there is plenty reason to check the turn. I can't imagine this guy putting in 3 bets on the flop and folding the turn. A checkraise is more likely than a fold by a good margin.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it feels like if he has a king in this spot...

[/ QUOTE ]

A player who raises preflop 19% of the time is never open-completing with a K.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was expecting a reply along these lines lol. Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there any reason to check the turn through? Or is it an auto-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a matter of having a consistent plan for the hand. If you are going to check the river when you miss, you should also check the turn and take the free card. If you are going to bet the turn, follow through with your semi-bluff and bet the river. I like the turn bet, river bet plan, but you can argue for turn check river check. I think turn bet river check is the worst option.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player who raises preflop 19% of the time is never open-completing with a K.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lies. He could have been limp reraising or he could have decided to mix it up. Players who are far too aggressive preflop often pride themselves on their unpredictable play.