Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: the real simon trumper

Well said, totally agree with DesD's post.

Unlike the portrayal of high-stakes poker on "Tilt", the real world of poker is not supposed to be (and, in my experience, typically is not) a ridiculously intimidating situation where a bunch of well-known pros are waiting to jump on a guy for a supposed breach of their style-of-play preferences.

Torching a guy's reputation over something that was, at absolute worst, a rude-but-effective play seems like a bad approach for top pros to be taking, and certainly does not seem at all justified on these facts.

Plus, if it had really been ten minutes, you can be SURE that everyone at the table would have been yelling "clock!" by the end. Seriously, what's the longest you've ever seen anyone take?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see how you can write that long list of mostly good reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you hadn't noticed, most of these "reasons" for taking time are "Hollywood"/"Angling" type things that I don't think belong in the game.

I don't consider them to be "good reasons" for using the clock, quite the opposite, IMHO.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, what's the longest you've ever seen anyone take?

[/ QUOTE ]

Four minutes and eighteen seconds plus another one after I called a clock on a guy. I happened to be looking at the tourney clock when the action got stalled. And while I normally don't like to call for a clock, I finally did: I was short on chips and the next limit was coming soon. In this instance, I may have hurt myself. I think he was pissed that I called for a clock and waited until the ten-second count got to two before he acted.

Absent a clock, he might have made the decision sooner.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 PM

I call clock almost immediately if anyone pauses to think even briefly in the early rounds, and loudly--that way, even though it's obviously a jopke, and done in a funny way, it actually does have the effect of speading things up a lot, and preventing people from thinking too much... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"tragedy of the commons"

[/ QUOTE ]

i love it! econ 101 is paying off! i feel fortunate to fully comprehend what paulp is talking about. sadly, i'm only being a little sarcastic.

could it just be that two nice poker players by all accounts each lost track of time at a tense moment? i mean, what the heck, i had no idea until i got on my computer that it's already near 10pm. if what barry says is true, then shame on simon. if what simon and mathilde say is true, then i think an apology would be appropriately in order. the truth? probably somewhere in the grey.

it's a big fuss about a misunderstanding that will be settled between the participants involved. but now that it's on the forum, hearing from both again would settle a lot nonsensical debate.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 PM

You can "ponder" a decision without actually taking "a long time". (No idea how long Devilfish took, just pointing out the difference).

How is where he finished in the tournament material to anything? Obviously he is a very good player.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Hi all , to all those that believed in me before i have told you my side of events i thank you , to those that have been derogotary or threatened me i hope you have the humility to apologise .

The reporter that wrote the story contacted me admitting he screwed up by not verifying the details , i met him at the Rio , told exactly what happened , showed him the reactions here and through my mail and he then verified my story with Huck Seed and tournament director Johnny Groom , tomorrow the truth will be published on ESPN.COM and i will then copy and paste it to all forums involved , i expect to be fully vindicated and i now have to consider my position as regards the deffamation of my character .

Simon Trumper
Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Today, Simon talked to me man to man about it which I appreciate. He said, "I took that long, possibly four minutes, because I thought it might be the only way to get a world class player to call." I told him I disagreed with him as to what was acceptable.

He said the good news is his website is getting more hits than ever. The bad news is that people are theatening to kick his teeth in. And worse news is that his daughter was crying and afraid. I told him to tell his daughter that poker players settle their differences at the poker table, not with violence. Too bad all differences aren't settled that civilly.

As for Martin Aigner: I offered to bet Peter Costa about the time if we checked surviellance cameras I offered to bet over 2 1/2 minutes, though I think it was around five. Peter said he didn't know who Martin was. Peter said he told Simon he was wrong and he thought that length of the stall was ridiculous. Martin owes the group an apology for his fabrication.

Barry
Old 07-06-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad news is that people are theatening to kick his teeth in. And worse news is that his daughter was crying and afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rediculous. People really need to give their heads a shake. I can't understand what compells such nonsense.

Simon, and Barry, good show by both of you these last two posts.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 AM

Thanks guys for post on here and settling it.

[ QUOTE ]
The bad news is that people are theatening to kick his teeth in. And worse news is that his daughter was crying and afraid. I told him to tell his daughter that poker players settle their differences at the poker table, not with violence. Too bad all differences aren't settled that civilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

you people are moronic clowns. if anyone actually made a verbal threat to Simon at the Rio, they should be immediately ejected and never be allowed at the WSOP again. anyone else with me on this? doesnt seem that hard to implement and is just punishment.

respectfully,
temp