Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Low Limit Problems

I've run into this problem many times playing low limit stud hi $1-$2 and $2-$4.

I catch something like live kings or aces with a two flush in late position and there are 3-6 people who have already called the bring in or completion. If there weren't all those callers before me i would almost definately bet to thin the field, or at least get the money in with the best hand. But with so many callers there is plenty of money in the pot to justify a call with even marginal hands. Is it right to bet here knowing pretty much no one is going to fold, or should i just take the cheap card and sit on my hand until forth or fifth street and make my move there so long as nobody else has significantly improved?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Low Limit Problems

so... you're suggesting that we not build the pot while we are a favourite and instead, do so when we are an underdog? Ingenious!

Seriously though, If the players are tight enough to fold 5th without making the low or a monster 4low and live straight, then I'll go ahead and flat call and bet out next street. If they are loose and will draw to half to the river, then I'll go ahead and complete. I might also call if there's two or more As in the hand and see how they play it. If they hit a low or bet out after bricking, I'd be tempted to leave. As for slowplaying... don't bother since everyone knows what you have no matter how you play it.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:48 AM

He's only talking about stud hi not hi/lo, and my experience with games like these is that these people will draw to just about anything and are unlikely to fold until 5th.

To the OP: Assuming that your kicker and 2 flush are live or semi live I throw out a raise. Then you just need to get better at reading your opponents board texture. If they catch another of their suit and it is still live be wary, same thing if they catch a connecting card. Be less afraid of paired doorcards in a game like this unless that opponent suddenly gets aggressive.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:10 AM

If I got a dollar everytime I replyed to a stud hi post with stud hilow reasoning, I wouldn't need to play poker at all! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so... you're suggesting that we not build the pot while we are a favourite and instead, do so when we are an underdog? Ingenious!

[/ QUOTE ]

BigRed,

You've put some noob questions on here too, please be respectful to people. There's no need for this stuff. Not only that, OP's question was totally reasonable, and a challenge for all those who play LL stud.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:38 AM

If you're pretty sure a raise won't drive people out you probably shouldn't do it too often, a 2 flush makes the raise a bit better. In pacific's 1/2, 2/4 and 3/6 games, which are really soft and call happy, I often wait till 4th and go for a check-raise if no one threatening has paired his or her door card. In games where most people are very reluctant to fold before 5th I usually try to make it 5th as cheaply as possible. On 4th I'll need a good reason to bet out, such as 2 pair or 2-3 people catching blanks, but I'll raise if I get the chance. Then I can focus on playing 5th-7th better than them. If a spot opens up for a check raise take it. The toughest thing about these games is adjusting to the mood swings of LP players.... sometimes they'll all of a sudden start folding, and others they'll call 3 bets cold with a pair of sevens. I've found that after I've won a few big pots my raises start getting the respect they'd get at a tighter table. But if I'm really aggressive with kings or aces or other big hands and lose, the table concensus is to call anything anytime.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:08 PM

with a big pair and a live two flush two straight, you should raise. not to knock people out, but because your equity is high.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with a big pair and a live two flush two straight, you should raise. not to knock people out, but because your equity is high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You need to raise here and don't think twice about it. The limpers are not going to understand that they shouldnt call a raise on 5th anyway because the pot is small. Get your money in now while you are ahead. You may have to fold by 5th but you will more than make up for the extra bets lost with huge pots being shipped over to you when you win. The times when you don't fold 5th, you will often get the best of both worlds and someone will bet into you forgetting about your 3rd street raise and then you can get the extra money in on third and the raise in on 5th.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really just saying that it may be better to see if I improve or if their board hasn't improved greatly by forth street to put the bet in there where it has a chance of thinning the field
Old 06-24-2005, 08:55 PM

I was just jesting. I'm sure I make more noob comments than everyone else here combined. Hope he didn't take it too seriously. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]