Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Unorthodox raise from the SB w/ K7o

The converter ate this hand, so it's old-school style.

Party 3/6.

Villian has $7.66. He is a total LAG, whom I've tangled with in a handful of hands, and he may well be on tilt. An example hand previously is when he raised 22 from EP, capped my 3-bet (I had KK), went 4 bets on the flop, 3 on the turn and lead the river. Neither of us tripped up, I believe an A hit the turn causing me to ease up, but MHWG.

Villian raises UTG. With the previous read (very LAG, bluffer, possibly on tilt) I put him on two cards, possibly with suits and numbers on them.

Folded around to me in the SB w/ K7o. I raise, BB folds, Villian calls his last $1.77.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8c, 7h, 4s ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jd ]
** Dealing River ** [ Kd ]
Madtown shows [ Kc, 7d ] two pairs, kings and sevens.
Villian doesn't show [ 2h, 7s ] a pair of sevens.

When it got folded to me in the SB, I knew that it was either a fold or raise situation.

My question:

A) What hand range are you 3-betting here to push out BB and get it heads-up all-in preflop versus an UTG lunatic?

B) Assume lunatic is not shortstacked, but rather just reloaded last hand. What hands are you now 3-betting to isolate said lunatic, without the all-in aspect?

I felt that K7o was a bit loose for this play, especially given how little money was in the pot. But I really had no idea whether that was the case or not.

Also, I realize this is a less worthwhile discussion as this isn't a scenario you're faced with all that often, but I thought it might be an interesting discussion.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox raise from the SB w/ K7o

A) I'm 3-betting here with a lot. Probably a middle queen would be as low as I'm willing to go. Any ace, king, and pair are easy 3-bets.

B) I'd ease up a bit and limit things to middle kings, like your K7o. The strange thing is that this situation is more profitable since he will be able to pay you off if you hit. The deciding factor for me is that against maniacs, I like to have hands I can go to war with and still possibly win unimproved.