Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 01:26 PM

Default How do you tell your girlfriend she\'s a pig?

So near the end of my last relationship, I was getting really fed up with my girlfriend's appearance. She was a cute girl, but dressed just plain sloppily, and would do this awful, no effort, hard to describe thing with her hair where she'd just wrap and weave it into this ugly bun thing at the back of her neck. Terrible. I'd look at her and always think of that scene at the beginning of American Beauty where Annette Benning would say to her daughter "Jane, are you TRYING to look unattractive??!!"

I never found a good way to broach this subject, mainly for the obvious reason that it would be very insulting, she would hold it against me forever and use it as a trump card in any subsequent argument regarding the way we treat eachother. Also, I'm pretty much a slob myself, 90% of the clothes I own are b-day or x-mas gifts or free stuff. I'm clueless with fashion and wouldn't be able to give any subtle recommendations about what to wear or changes to make to the hair. I just know what I hate. Lastly, the fact that she wasn't obsessed with her appearance was something I really liked. But there's just a sharp difference between putting too much effort into looking good and putting in no effort and looking her worst. I'm sure I couldn't have adequately conveyed this though.

What is the correct play here?

For the record, the strategy I adopted was to just act a lot less attracted to her and hope she'd get the hint. This worked, as she got a ton of new clothes, layered her hair, and even puts on a marginal amount of make-up, but she opted to break up with me before doing all this.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: How do you tell your girlfriend she\'s a pig?

The correct play is to decide if the fun you have spending time with her outweighs the fact that you don't think she's attractive anymore. If it does, then you just let it be. If it doesn't, tell her, and if she breaks up with you, it's +EV...

I mean, it's good. (Sorry for the poker term)

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, the strategy I adopted was to just act a lot less attracted to her and hope she'd get the hint. This worked, as she got a ton of new clothes, layered her hair, and even puts on a marginal amount of make-up, but she opted to break up with me before doing all this.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahaha

Honesty = best policy, imo. But do it with some tact.

Drive around town with her and then go get some fast food at the drive thru, place the order, and then wait for the cashier to say "Do you want to Super Size that order?" then look at you girlfriend and give her the once over then turn back to the speaker and say "HELL YEAH!"

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure a large amount of the advice that was given in the "how to tell her she's getting fat" thread of a fews months ago would apply, but i don't remember the title or who started the thread.

However, I think it's general knowledge that once they've got you or think they have, they stop caring about themselves.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) She was a cute girl, but dressed just plain sloppily, and would do this awful, no effort, hard to describe thing with her hair where she'd just wrap and weave it into this ugly bun thing at the back of her neck. Terrible.

2.) Also, I'm pretty much a slob myself, I'm clueless with fashion and wouldn't be able to give any subtle recommendations about what to wear or changes to make to the hair.

3.)the strategy I adopted was to just act a lot less attracted to her and hope she'd get the hint.

4.) This worked, as she got a ton of new clothes, layered her hair, and even puts on a marginal amount of make-up, but she opted to break up with me before doing all this.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, well played.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:41 PM

Send me a PM with her Phone Number and i will call her and tell her for you.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Steve could give her the queer eye treatment?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:44 PM

Girls always do this when breaking up. Despite any necessary drama and sulking, they go to the gym, start acting nicer to people, being more outgoing, etc., because it's time to market the product again. Your strat didn't work; she's just doing what comes natural to every girl after a break-up.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Steve could give her the queer eye treatment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I go shopping with my friend's because I am honest, I will make remarks to questions like....

Does this look good on me???
That did not look good on the hanger

Does this make me look fat???
No your ass does that job for you

Should I wear this out tonight???
As long as you are going somewhere dark

Steve, see if you can find this one in my size.
Where here or Lane Bryant???

And many many more...