Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Vote or Die
gotta see it 24 40.68%
worth watching 24 40.68%
dont waste your time 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Any marathon runners on here?

In addition to your normal training, you need to start doing one serious long run per week. You should try to work up to at least 18 miles. It will be very difficult to finish the marathon without walking a good deal of it if you havent done at least one 18+ mile run.
You want to leave around 2 weeks between your farthest long run and race day, so obviously you're cutting it a bit close here.

[ QUOTE ]
I probably only run 3-4 times a week, usually 4-6 mile runs. I'm at the point where these runs are pretty easy and I really try to step up the pace on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about stepping up the pace on your normal runs, you should be more concerned about stepping up the milage. For marathon training, quantity over quality.

If you decide to do the marathon, buy Power Gel, and take it twice during the race.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default results

So I did one 16 mile run the week before the race, other than that just kept running about 3 times a week, 3.5-8.5 mile runs depending on what I felt like.

The day before the race I hydrated and carbo-loaded like a champ, brought two power gels to the race, took in a little water or powerade at every station, and was generally having a great time before my calves started cramping on mile 20.

For the next two miles I was able to run through the small cramps without slowing down until major cramps started on mile 22. For that mile I would walk a little, then run some more until my next major cramp. At first I was able to run for about a minute in between major cramps, but by mile 23 any attempt to jog was met with an immediate incapicatiting cramp.

I accepted that I would just have to walk it in, and walked as fast as I could until on mile 25, I was rendered immobile by a massive cramp in which my entire right leg locked up in the pointed toe position. I was unable to force my foot flat to relieve the cramp, which also spread into my quad. I was actually a little bit scared at this point, and when a cop walked over and asked if I needed help I said yes. He called for medical assistance but while I was waiting over the next couple minutes I was slowly able to the flatten out my foot and cancelled the help and limped to the finish.

On the way in several spectators heckled me. I was called lazy by a few, a few others told me I shouldn't be there. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course a lot of people tried to encourage me as well. I managed to finish in just under 4 hours, the last 4.2 miles took me an hour and one minute.

I guess overall, proper training would probably have been a good idea.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: results

good job finishing, but marathons are way more fun when you've done the proper training, which for me was like 6 months long. I highly recommend running the nyc marathon, although you have to sign up for the lottery well in advance.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:55 PM

If you've run a half marathon, this is doable. Just run a couple of 5-milers during the week and extend a long run on the weekends over the next three weeks. For example:

Week 1 - Mon: 5 mi. - Wed: 5 mi. - Sat. 15 mi.
Week 2 - Mon: 5 mi. - Wed: 5 mi. - Sat. 18 mi.
Week 3 - Mon: 5 mi. - Wed: 5 mi. - Sat. 22 mi.
Week 4 - Mon: 5 mi. - Wed: 5 mi. - Sat. Marathon
Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 PM

The only word that comes to mind to describe the hecklers is "pathetic." Honestly, those people ought to be beat to a pulp.

Congrats on the finish.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:08 PM

don't do it. you will hurt yourself.

if you do it, take lots of walking breaks. they will reduce your chance of injury. Run Injury Free and Walk Breaks
Old 06-07-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the way in several spectators heckled me. I was called lazy by a few, a few others told me I shouldn't be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good bet that those hecklers haven't done anything in their life. I walked most of the marathon when I did an Ironman. The people of Madison, Wisconsin were nothing but supportive. Of course, most of them were drunk, but that's ok.