Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Default SSHE concepts in a fixed bet game (live play)

I recently switched from the 1/2 game to the 2/2 game here in Jax and I'm wondering about the possibility of changing typical SSHE strategies. For instance, raising for a free card is pointless because there is no cheap street. The game is still loose-passive and most people are only raising with AA-JJ with the occasional donkey raising UTG with A6o or some other trash hand out of boredom.

Anyone have extensive experience in these games and should any SSHE strategies be tweaked due to the fact that bets on all streets are the same amount?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: SSHE concepts in a fixed bet game (live play)

I have never played in a 2/2 game, but I would think that since 4th and 5th street stay the same, that you will be able to chase weaker draws to the river, more often. And it would also be harder to protect your top pairs hands from others on a weak draw.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: SSHE concepts in a fixed bet game (live play)

[ QUOTE ]
I recently switched from the 1/2 game to the 2/2 game here in Jax and I'm wondering about the possibility of changing typical SSHE strategies. For instance, raising for a free card is pointless because there is no cheap street. The game is still loose-passive and most people are only raising with AA-JJ with the occasional donkey raising UTG with A6o or some other trash hand out of boredom.

Anyone have extensive experience in these games and should any SSHE strategies be tweaked due to the fact that bets on all streets are the same amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2/2 game means that your implied odds are WAAAAY down because there are no big bets. Low implied odds means that you tighten up preflop and you play fewer specualtive (drawing) hands. This also means that you should be seeing more rivers (the turn bet isn't as big, so you you're usually getting better odds).

You probably want to raise preflop more often (because you don't have the chance to exploit equity postflop as well).

There are other things to consider changing (check-raising more to get more money into the pot), but those things depend on how the other players adjust their game (or fail to adjust).

These are only some of the ideas. If you understand SSH, then you'll understand the other adjustments you should be making. If you can't, you probably don't really understand the game that well.