Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Did I deserve to be berated for this play?

While it is close and I am more in favor of folding, there is no need to explain your move. Too bad this was not party where you could have typed the grinning Gremlin and maybe put the table on a tilt.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Flopping a 5 w/no K was the perfect play in this situation. Of course, a 5 w/K flop would have added some drama, and also would have allowed you to perform the fantastic rivered quads move.
All in all, I like it.
Well done, NH.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Nobody deserves to be berated for a play at the poker table.

When the other players started chewing you out, don't explain your reasoning; it just gives them information. The best response would have been "I had a feeling that 5 was coming".
Old 04-14-2005, 03:40 PM

the only way that i think the call is ok is if you think there is a decent chance that villain will check all the way with a missed AK/AQ.

otherwise, as others have said, you barely have implied odds when villain does pay off with his stack, and osme of those times you'll lose your stack to the CO, or win the side pot with the CO but lose the main to the all-in (or take down the empty side pot and lose the main). this problem is especially bad b/c you can't fold out the all-in, so you have to duck whatever 1-card straights and runner-runner boats that could come. i don't think all of these negatives outweigh your chance of winning unimproved. i'd fold.

and yes, talking to the table is -EV in my book.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best response would have been "I had a feeling that 5 was coming".

[/ QUOTE ]

i also like "we've seen a lot of 5's lately"
Old 04-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Looks like the DW play from WSOP 04, you should have typed in before you called " I check in the Dark".

I really don't like playing pairs that small at all early, but thats my style. No one deserves to be berated at the table, for a boarderline call. I would just not respond at all, expect for.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:22 PM

That guy was just pissed that he lost with his KK. I don't see anything wrong with this preflop. You still have a nice stack if the flop misses you, and when you hit it like this and check you definitely set up this big over bet by someone that is playing an over pair. After all why would trip 10s do this, wouldn't they want to get more money out of you?

I think this is a good play given how this hand played out, especially since the CO did not reraise PF. I definitely would not have explained anything to anyone. Let them think that you are crazy or whatever they want to.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I thought it was closer than the 'oh my god, how can you do that?' would indicate, albeit probably incorrect.

I did make one wisecrack response to the "How can you call that?' barrage; "By pushing the button in the middle" was my response. I do like your, but there have been lots of 5's lately suggestion.

Ironically, after making the money, I went out on a nearly identical play. I had 66, raised, I don't remember if I was reraised or not, but it was heads-up to the flop+ one small all-in. I then went all-in on a 2KK board, and got a crying call by QQ. Oh well. I do need to tighten up a bit though and not take un-needed risks.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its kinda close, but still a fold. Calling 3,600 here, you need 8:1 (have to flop a set), pot is 11,000 so you're only getting 3:1, and possibly another 11K IF the CO will committ his chips when you flop a set. So you're just under 8:1 with large assumption on implied odds. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the given circumstances, I would also be inclined to fold too. But not for the reason that I am not getting the 8:1 odds. In a limit ring game, yes. But in a tourney situation, how often do you get the true odds of drawing to a set? I can't think of any significant one. Maybe in early stages when, for example: there is a pot of say, 500 and a scared player hitting a bottom pair or top pair makes a post oak bet of 50 to test whether his hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused by your response, what would be your reason for folding if not the size of the call?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CO call is scary. He made a BIG call with the original early positon raiser still to act. It seems like you thought highly of this players game so far. Here is what we know. He has a good hand. He is not afraid to see a flop. What hands would you make this play with? AA-QQ, AKs, AQs? Thats about it. I would reraise with a much wider range of hands than I would call with here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was one of my mistakes. I specifically did not put him on AA-QQ. I figured he would reraise with those types of hands ensuring isolation. I put him on more speculative hands 99-JJ, AKs, KQs, or worse. Although I had respected his play, I did see him make some speculative calls though usually from the BB, and earlier when the stack to blind ratio was deeper. Had I put him on KK, I would have folded like a worker in an Origami studio.

I play fairly str8 forward and take down many pots with my aggression, but I am suseptible to being trapped because of this hubris.