Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 04-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: I believe in Santa Claus

I think somebody just got himself in waayy over his head. That's a hefty task you've invited, vulturesrow. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are strong rational reasons for the [...] truth of Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this statement to be very untrue--please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, this forum isnt appropriate to that sort of sweeping discussion. Perhaps if there are certain parts of Christianity that you have objection to or you think are particularly weak, it might make it a more viable to discuss in these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it inappropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, Im not sure we cant give the topic justice in this setting, where cute little one liners seem to rule and people make superficial arguments . However I will assume a good faith offer is being made here. It would still be helpful to define a starting point. Suggestions?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:17 PM

I would suggest starting at the phrase Jesus emphasized repeatedly:

"My Kingdom is not of this World"

Followed by:

"The Kingdom of Heaven is upon you" or maybe "with you" or "amongst you".

Then the Golden Rule and Sermon on the Mount.

Something rarely mentioned is the fact that in Hebrew, God is a plural noun. What if the phrase "I Am" has been mistranslated all this time and should read "We Are"? Or "Our Kindom is not of this World". When asked if he is the Son of God, what if Jesus actually said, "We Are"?

PairTheBoard
Old 04-06-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just don't get what it means to have a mature belief in Santa.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the best comparison that you can come up with to relate to people's beliefes in a god, than I don't think you know what it is to have a mature belief in anything related to the topic.

From what you are saying, You DON"T Believe in the existence of Santa. You DO Believe in the Ideals that it represents...

You believe in Santa as a Unitarian believes in the Catholic Eucharist. You Believe that Other People believe in IT, and you believe in it's ideals, so every 1st sunday of a month you'll break bread as well. but you Don't believe that that bread you (or the Roman Catholics) are breaking is the actual encarnation of the body of Christ.

your annalogy just sucks. relating a belief in Santa to a belief in a higher power is a travesty, and seems to either show a lack of thought put into the idea, a lack of understanding of what some people's faiths actualy are, or worst of all a lack of caring.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:48 PM

I believe money grows on trees. I am not lying to you. I am not being illogical. If someone told me the odds against this are a zillion to one, it would be in naivete. If you say I am either lying or illogical, you are wrong. You just don't get it.

See, when I say "money" I really mean "leaves"! I believe leaves grow on trees!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 PM

Quoted by LittleFishy:
PTB: "You just don't get what it means to have a mature belief in Santa."

LF: "If this is the best comparison that you can come up with to relate to people's beliefes in a god, than I don't think you know what it is to have a mature belief in anything related to the topic."

You misunderstood my intention. This was meant to point out how myopic and closed minded people can be when it comes to someone believing in something in a way they never thought of. You evidently missed the point when I said this belief is born of a Whimsical Spirit while Religious Faith strikes much deeper chords. You are also being insulting.

LF: "From what you are saying, You DON"T Believe in the existence of Santa. You DO Believe in the Ideals that it represents... "

Not at all. That's your presumption lacking the perception of whimsy. I DO believe in the existence of Santa. Take a leap out of your logic box long enough to endulge a little whimsy and you might come to believe Santa exists as well.

LF: "You believe in Santa as a Unitarian believes in the Catholic Eucharist. You Believe that Other People believe in IT, and you believe in it's ideals, so every 1st sunday of a month you'll break bread as well. but you Don't believe that that bread you (or the Roman Catholics) are breaking is the actual encarnation of the body of Christ."

It's not just Unitarians, but most ALL Protestant Denominations - including Fundamentalists - do not believe in the Transmutation of Wine to Blood. Here's the thing though. If you talk to a Modernist Catholic Theologian - or I suspect most any Jesuit - even though they DO believe in the Transmutation of Wine to Blood I doubt they would argue that a scientific examination of the Eucharist would find blood in the cup. Maybe there's something about the way they believe that you don't understand. Much like you don't understand my whimsical belief in Santa. Exactly the point of this thread.

LF: "your annalogy just sucks. relating a belief in Santa to a belief in a higher power is a travesty, and seems to either show a lack of thought put into the idea, a lack of understanding of what some people's faiths actualy are, or worst of all a lack of caring."

That's your analogy not mine. But your lack of understanding of my belief in Santa and your hostility IS analogous to the lack of understanding and general intollerance some people have toward the Religious Beliefs of others. That's a lack of caring.

PairTheBoard
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 PM

one day when my brother sister and I were little, my dad helped lead a field trip for my sisters class into a local woods... earlier in the day he had gone into the woods with a couple bags of gumdrops and stuck them all over a tree that he had picked out. He then led his group through the woods and showed them his magic gumdrop tree... as the story goes they were all amazed and estatic. I wonder if any of them became botanists in the hope of rediscovering such a tree...
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM

With the price of Avocados what they are I've always thought of Money growing on Avocado Trees.

PTB
Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe money grows on trees. I am not lying to you. I am not being illogical. If someone told me the odds against this are a zillion to one, it would be in naivete. If you say I am either lying or illogical, you are wrong. You just don't get it.

See, when I say "money" I really mean "leaves"! I believe leaves grow on trees!

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome. just truly awesome.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 AM

Why do you say "money" when you mean "leaves"?

PairTheBoard