Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that popping in a dip is going to be a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very bad idea.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM

I had all 4 out about 4 years ago and actually opted for the local anesthetic, so my experience was pretty similar to jakethebake's. The top had come out normally, so they came right out, the bottom two were impacted so the oral surgeon was yanking with all his might. Maybe getting the local has something to do with recovering faster, because I was out playing basketball the same day. The empty sockets ached for a few weeks, but nothing a couple advil a day couldn't handle.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM

I had all of mine out (2 were partially impacted) while on a IV drip. Went to sleep, next thing I know nurse says "everything went fine". I spent the rest of the day in a recliner alternating naps with watching TV. Felt pretty good the next day, but was careful and gradually worked my way up from soup to more solid foods. Never felt any real pain, so didn't need any of the pain medicine.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:05 PM

I waited until it was very painful. They were impacted and there were gaps between the teeth and gums. Apparently I got an infection due to food getting trapped in there. The whole thing was not that big a deal. I ate ice cream and soup for a few days. Everything healed up well, and the stitches just came out by themselves. Afterwards it was easier to keep my breath fresh.

BTW, I now have tooth colored braces at age 38. I wish my parents had forced me to do this when I was a kid instead of just asking. Basically some of my front teeth were angled outward. It looked bad and they were useless for biting. I would have to bite with the side of my mouth. The wisdom teeth had to come out first before this could be fixed. It will suck for about a year but I think it will be worth it.

Anyway... take care of your teeth. Don't let things go until they become a problem.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am having 3 of my wisdom teeth cut out tomorrow. Anyone had this done? How long were you out of commission afterwards? I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off of work, basking in the glow of painkillers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is something where different people tend to have very different experiences. I was lucky. I had all of mine done at once. I was in the Marine Corps and just about to get out, and figured I might as well have it done for free. No problem. I was on solid food a day later. But I've known quite a few people that developed problems (something to do with air pockets in the wound?) that were in pain and on soft food for a couple of weeks.

edit: The fun thing about have the Marine Corps do it was that it was done with a local rather than putting me under so I had the wonderful experience of getting to hear the saw, feel the hammer hit the chisel when they cracked the teeth, etc. At one point the dentist had his knee on my chest yanking with pliers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got the hammer?

They used a [censored] pair of pliers on me.

And they TOLD me they were taking them out.

I was dipping cope at the time. Had it done on a friday, early morning.

Friday evening I was drunk as hell with a huge dip in.

For some reason, the holes where the teeth were bleed for a really long time.*

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I find it funny how people complain about getting their wisdom teeth removed and then needing 3 days to "recover".

Pansies. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

*yes, I am well aware of why they bleed for like 4 days. I probably had the thinnest blood of anyone in the barracks that week. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the booze.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:14 PM

what does impacted mean? I have had my bottom two out but have to get my top two out, they're actually sort of extending beyond my other teeth. my exact feelings are boy, this is going to suck.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM

I just had 4 of mine taken out on Thursday. It still kind of hurts, and I can't eat that well. Painkillers are good though.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

source

"In dental terminology "impacted" means that a tooth has failed to emerge fully into its expected position. This may occur either because there is not room enough in the jaw for the tooth, or else because the angulation of the tooth is improper."

Two of the three I'm having removed are impacted. Good times.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Painkillers are good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did nothing for me, other than ease the pain a little. I didn't see the attraction, so I gave the unused pills to a friend.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:21 PM

I had 4 of em that were impacted, and I dont really like veins and needles etc, so i didnt get put out, i just got the n02. I had them done on a friday at 2pm, and went to work unloading christmas trees on sunday night at 5pm. It affects ppl differently though. Just sleep a whole lot, is my suggestion.