Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Passive Aggressive AA

party 1000PL 6 max, 6 handed.

utg, button and SB limp.

i raise the max to 50 from BB w A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

i bet $130, utg (30/11) calls. sb folds.

turn:6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, not sure whether I am going to check call or CR all in.

thoughts? comments?

thanks,

fsuplayer
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Passive Aggressive AA

stacks?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM

whoops.

ummm, i had about a g to start. he had me covered.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:02 PM

At this point it looks like there is about $400 in the pot and you have about $800 left. If you are prepared to checkraise all in then I think just betting out with $400 is a better idea. If he folds a worse hand, fine; the pot is big enough to take down right now.

Presumably if you check and he bets $400 then he has the flush. Doesn't leave you a lot of outs with 6 diamonds then accounted for. You would be putting $800 into an $800 pot.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Sorry just lurking here but Im wondering what could possibly be a WORSE card for you on the turn than 6d..I probably check and call a decent sized bet..or fold a huge one.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 PM

nine of diamonds
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 PM

by the same token, if hero bets pot and villain raises, hero still has to put in $800 to see the river, and has lost all of his folding equity by taking this line.

im not sure, however, that folding equity is of utmost importance here, as villain is not folding a flush, and likely not a set. The only hands we have beat i could see villain calling a CR w/ are big pairs w/ a diamond.

so i think check-calling the turn is best here, as it allows hero to see the river as cheaply as possible. If villain pots the turn and hero calls, there's ~$1200 in the pot and hero has just ~$400 left behind, so i suppose the operative ? then becomes, what to do if the river bricks? It comes down to hero's read on villain, imo: is villain capable of firing pot on turn, and then setting hero in on a blank river card w/ hands we beat?

this is tricky w/o a good read on villain . . .
Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry just lurking here but Im wondering what could possibly be a WORSE card for you on the turn than 6d.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a card that doesn't give you the nut flush draw?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:36 PM

His preflop stats look slightly LAG - was his postflop play similar? When you raise preflop there are certain people that love to call you with damn near any pair (or any draw) on the flop to see what you do on the turn. With the 50bb structure I liked to checkraise these people on the turn with my strong hands. I'm not as happy about getting 100bb in the pot with one pair, but having a draw to the nuts as backup is certainly a mitigating factor.

I'd assume that JJ gets raised preflop... and he folds all the hands which could have flopped two pair... so the four groups of hands he could have on the flop (which he doesn't fold 100% of the time) would be 1) 55/77 2) other pocket pairs which missed, but hope you only have overcards 3) something with a jack 4) a flush draw.

So the things I'd be looking at would include... what range of hands would he raise me on the flop with? What range of hands would he just call on the flop with? What hands will he bet the turn with, and what hands will he check behind with? What hands would he fold if you bet again on the turn (hands like JT, etc)?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 PM

If you bet you are only going to get called by a hand that has you beat. If he bets the pot I lay it down. You only have 130 invested. Save your money for a better opportunity.