Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Stars $350K hand w/ QQ

Limits are 200-400 w/ $25 blinds.

I open raise from cutoff with QQ for $1200. This leaves me with $6000. SB with $15000 calls. Flop comes king high and SB bets $2000 at the $3000 pot.

I know what I did, what would you do?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Stars $350K hand w/ QQ

I think it's a pretty easy push. You'd have to think most opponents would checkraise with a king.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a pretty easy push. You'd have to think most opponents would checkraise with a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

I folded. But I was thinking along your line. Not necessarily that he would checkraise a king, but what I would do in his situation. If I have a big stack like he did, I like to bet any flop if it will not cripple me and put the opponent to a decision that could cost them their tournament.

I just didn't think that was the hand I was willing to bust out on, but since I still finished 200 out of the money, perhaps I should have taken the chance. It would have put me over 10000 if he busted and in pretty decent shape.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:09 PM

Well, if you had pushed, he wouldn't be calling with less than a king; so you're either going to pick up the $4k pot, or go broke. With $6k left behind you, I think this is an _easy_ fold, unless you have a solid read that says he'd checkraise with a hand that beats you.

Pushing is just reckless, IMHO. Early in the tournament, wait for a better spot!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you had pushed, he wouldn't be calling with less than a king; so you're either going to pick up the $4k pot, or go broke. With $6k left behind you, I think this is an _easy_ fold, unless you have a solid read that says he'd checkraise with a hand that beats you.

Pushing is just reckless, IMHO. Early in the tournament, wait for a better spot!

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't that early, but we were not close to making the money. It was costing ~$1300 per round at that point. I think it was the first or second hand at the new limit.

So far I have an easy push and an easy fold. I guess my decision is becoming very "easy". It should have been to raise more preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That way I could weed out some of the weaker calling hands and pot commit myself so I don't have to do any thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM

You open-raised to $1200 from CO... could look like a steal to SB. His $2,000 bet could be a defensive bet of his blinds... he certainly has the chips to make a bet like that and not think twice about getting called or raised and then folding. I think I raise all-in, but i'm a little more reckless than most [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This wasn't that early, but we were not close to making the money

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I always look from the point of winning the whole thing.

If you're going to win the tournament, you've still got 6 hours to play. It's early.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 PM

I agree..the non-check-raise doesn't really fit with his post flop play. It looks like a probe bet. I am pushing if the flop is at all coordinated. If it's ragged, like K28 rainbow, I'm more willing to let him keep betting into me on the turn. Either way, though, all the money is going in the on the turn.
If the flop is K78 w. a flush draw, I'm more happy to simply push right now.

A fold isn't horrible, but it's pretty weak.

-SossMan
Old 01-10-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A fold isn't horrible, but it's pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that like saying "the sun is bright", or is there ever a "strong" fold? I know there are good or correct folds, but strong?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:55 PM

all in or fold