Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 01:49 AM

Default Weak play, or right play

On the bubble in Pstars $20 w/rebuys NL tourney. I have about 16000 which is probably 30th out of 37. Limits i think are 1000-2000 with 100 ante. UTG I get QQ. Perfect opportunity to move up in chips? I folded. I had gone all in several times before, but did not like the situation given that it was the bubble.

Results: finished 13th.

For what it's worth, while still on the bubble, in the small blind two hands later, I went all in with a 2-3 off because I had the big blind covered by $6000. He folded of course.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Weak play, or right play

Uhh, what was the minimum cash here?? Also when did the minimum jump and how far did it go up?? And what was the avg stack at the time??
Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

On the bubble in Pstars $20 w/rebuys NL tourney. I have about 16000 which is probably 30th out of 37. Limits i think are 1000-2000 with 100 ante. UTG I get QQ. Perfect opportunity to move up in chips? I folded. I had gone all in several times before, but did not like the situation given that it was the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a premium hand after raising several times is the perfect situation. Your fold is awful.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 AM

I thought that at first but...

1) If his stack is pathetically small compared to the median or Avg

2)There is no jump from 30th ---say...20th and the stack is so small that even with a double up its doubtful he will make a jump.

3)He KNOWS mathematically the probabilty of making the bubble without being anted off is like 90%.

Then wouldnt the fold be EV+/???

All that being said I WONT FOLD QQ HERE unless I need rent money or baby formula from cashing.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:25 AM

with 8 times the blind this is a balls ass terrible fold. There are two hands in the deck you don't want calling and if they're not out you get a 20% increase in your stack, or a lot of chips in the middle as a big to very big favorite. It doens't matter if he's short stacked compared to the field in this situation it's more important how he is compared to the blind. And he's fine. And his chips needed to go in.

-JDanz
Old 12-14-2004, 05:03 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a player that plays to cash, not win. With the payout structure usually starting at anywhere from 1 to 3 percent for the first few people out in the money, to 25 to 40 percent for the winner it might be worth it to take more risks while on the bubble to accumulate chips so that you can have a better chance of winning later on.

Especially since most people will play like you in that situation by folding hand after hand until they get into the money, then bow out, not giving themselfs any realistic chance to win the big money, because they were too concerned about the 1 to 3 percent

Say first money is 50 dollars, and first place is 500 dollars. You would have to cash 10 times just to make the same money as you would have if you had won, and in those 10 tournaments you would have had to bought in 10 more times than if you won just one tournament. 20 dollar buy-in means that you paying 200 to win 500. However if you go for the win it is just 20 to win 500.

Remember tournament pros usually survive by winning a few tournaments a year, rather than cashing in many tournaments.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM

some of you guys are so weak tight, sorry for the insults but folding this is pretty pathetic.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM

Weak - Agreed.

And it was the perfect time to go in, because after several all in bluffs, you may get called by 66 or A7 (or worse) in a short stack, because they are frustrated watching you steal, and need to make a move.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:35 AM

Easy all-in. If this needs an explanation, by all means respond asking for one and I'll put a post together. Actually, I'd rather hear the reasoning behind folding, because I can't come up w/ a single one.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Average stack was about $52000.

36th place was about $120. 1st place about $5200.

It was pokerstars, so next limit went to 1500-3000 $150 ante I believe.