Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Fear mongering

[ QUOTE ]
President Bush is urging Florida seniors to reject what he calls John Kerry's "politics of fear."

At a rally in The Villages, a Florida retirement community, the president said Kerry's trying to scare people into thinking he'll privatize Social Security in a second term, and that it will mean a cut in benefits. WOKR Florida

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Vice President Dick Cheney on Tuesday evoked the threat of terrorists bombing U.S. cities with nuclear or other weapons as he began a bus tour through Republican strongholds in Ohio two weeks before the election.

Cheney defended President Bush's response to the Sept. 11 attacks and questioned whether Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry was up to the challenge of combating such a threat.

"The biggest threat we face now as a nation is the possibility of terrorists ending up in the middle of one of our cities with deadlier weapons than have ever before been used against us - biological agents or a nuclear weapon or a chemical weapon of some kind to be able to threaten the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans," Cheney said. MiamiHerald.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2004, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Fear mongering

Do you think that Cheney was wrong in his assessment of our greatest threat?

On the other hand you have the Kerry campaign who has:

Tried to scare young voters with the nonexistent threat of a draft.

Tried to scare senior citizens with the false threat that Bush was going to take away their benefits.

Tried to scare black Americans with the false threat of voter suppression.

Politics of fear seems a pretty apt description of the Kerry campaign right now.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 PM

I purposely posted these without comment because I think that both campaigns are using the politics of fear. However, I think that Cheney's offense is much much worse than Kerry's. Yes, the threat of a terrorist attack in our cities is important. But I don't for a minute think that Bush/Cheney can make us safer against such attacks than Kerry/Edwards. And if Cheney think they can given their past performance he is deluding himself.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:29 PM

Nothing like a pokerplayer setting a trap.

I do agree with you. Cheney is out of line and has been for months.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 PM

Cheney is out of line about what? Nukes? WMD's? Do you actually think the terrorists are ok taking out the 2 WTC's which held 50,000 innocent people, but they aren't ok using a nuke?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I purposely posted these without comment because I think that both campaigns are using the politics of fear. However, I think that Cheney's offense is much much worse than Kerry's. Yes, the threat of a terrorist attack in our cities is important. But I don't for a minute think that Bush/Cheney can make us safer against such attacks than Kerry/Edwards. And if Cheney think they can given their past performance he is deluding himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that the threat Cheney outlined is not an untrue claim and for better or worse, has become a central issue in this election. Should he not make the administration's case in this regard? On the other hand, you have Kerry using outright falsehood to scare votes up for himself. I think that is far worse.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:07 AM

there have been many many reports of voter suppression. bush took us to war in iraq based on threats of imminent attack by weapons of mass destruction. would you rather have people use scare tactics to get us to vote or use scare tactics to get us to go to war?

rj
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 AM

there werent, and still arent any nukes in iraq, unless we brought some with us...

rj
Old 10-20-2004, 01:56 AM

You didn't address his point. He wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Do you actually think the terrorists are ok taking out the 2 WTC's which held 50,000 innocent people, but they aren't ok using a nuke?

[/ QUOTE ]

If al Qaeda had a nuke they wouldn't hesitate to use it. Both candidates agreed during the second debate that nuclear proliferation was the biggest issue regarding terrorism.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 AM

Kerry is right about suppressing the black vote. It was done with great success in 2000 and will be done again this year.

As for a draft, Bush has repeatedly denied it, and the specific scare-mongering from some internet folks (regarding the bill introduced by a Democrat and subsequently killed) glosses over its purpose, which was to draw attention to who is actually fighting this war. However, Bush will not be able to carry out his military agenda without major military expansion. Period. He will either have to pay soldiers 100 grand a year or have a draft. Or lose.

As a soldier, how do you feel about Bush trying to cut combat pay for troops currently on the ground in Iraq? I think you know that I'm not asking this to be snide. I'm very serious.

NT