Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-27-2004, 09:08 PM

Default One of the many reasons I suck

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

I assume I need to either fold to the raise or not bet it in the first place.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:50 AM

Default Re: One of the many reasons I suck

Small pot so you don't need to go to war here. If you've got a read, fold to the raise or call the raise and fold if you don't improve on the turn.

Another option would have been to raise if you know that the BB will not defend enough. Get HU with the EP limper.

King
Old 09-28-2004, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, SSH would agree with the bet and the call. Your kings w/ 9 kicker are conceivably good against the BB and a limper, especially at 2/4, so the bet is fine.

And folding to the raise isn't necessarily correct either; SSH cautions against doing this very often, because you really don't want observant people taking shots at you and raising you all the time in the hopes that you will fold. Also, you're not necessarily beat just because you got raised on the flop - unless this is a really tight and uncreative player, you can't rule out a spade draw, kings with a lower kicker, or maybe even something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. So seeing the turn seems fine.

Now, when a spade comes on the turn, I'd say it's time to fold. At this point, if he was raising with a spade draw on the flop, you're drawing dead. And if he has you out-kicked or flopped a two-pair, you're still drawing rather thin.

So assuming this is a typical 2/4 table, and without any specific reads on the BB here, I think your play was fine.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

3 bet the flop and lead the turn. fold to a turn raise.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks alot for the input.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:53 PM

I don't think it's a terrible fold. There is just not enough money in the pot to call down with top pair bad kicker. Save your money.