Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Grade the drafts of the Brown Trout Yahoo League

[ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that I don't understand why RB's should be taken so early. Under this scoring system, last year, there were five QB who scored more points than the highest scoring runningback, so I don't see what's so bad about taking QB's early.

[/ QUOTE ]

The value of player in FF is not how many points they score, but how many more or less points than your opponents player at the same position scores. It doesn't matter if your QB scores 100 points a game if everybody's QB scores 100 pts/game.

A simple example comparing two teams and two positions will illustrate this very clearly:

You used your 1st and 5th rd picks to get your starting QB and 2nd RB. Fred Taylor's groin filled these same positions using his 2nd rd pick and his 7th rd pick (Jackson & Carr). Let's compare:

Using some common projections with your scoring system, McNabb will score about 20pts/game, Droughns will score about 5pts/game. Carr will score about 16 pts/game and Jackson will score about 12pts/game.

Thus, Fred Taylor's 2nd and 7th round picks are expected to outscore your 1st and 5th round picks by about 3 pts/game - a pretty big advantage considering both his picks were quite a bit after yours.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i remember correctly, williams was one of the only rb's left on the board w/ a reasonable shot at starting 16 games (or at least being any good in the process)

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I would've taken Dunn, Barlow, Arrington, Bennett or Taylor before Williams.

[ QUOTE ]
the manning pick was maybe too early, but i let all those TD passes blind me a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Manning will probably be great this year, QB's just aren't that valuable in your league. You could've picked up a decent QB in 6th rd or later, but no way are you going to get a quality RB there.

[ QUOTE ]
the gates pick: the rb i wanted was still available a couple rounds later (larry johnson), and the elite WR's had just gone off the board, so the thinking was i won't get a WR/RB who's considerably better than what i can get next round, but i can get one of the best TE's now and solidify a really weak position. same reason i'd take a top 5 2B over a top 30 OF, even though the OF has better stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st I would've taken Gonzalez ahead of Gates. Gates has 1 great year, Gonzalez has been the top TE forever. 2nd TE's are similar to QB's, there are plenty to go around. Yes, your TE will be a bit better than most of the other team's TE. But drafting him early in the 3rd, you passed up some servicable RB's (Taylor, Brown, Foster, Benson) and some stud WR's (Walker, Wayne, Johnson, Jackson).

Now you're stuck using Larry Johnson as your RB#2 (who won't score more than a couple of points a week unless Holmes is injured) and Keenan McCardell as your flex (who also won't score more than a couple of points a week) and what are you going to do during bye weeks and when some of your guys get injured? Brandon Jacobs??? Reche Caldwell??? You're going to get slaughtered at these positions by MUCH more than your TE is going to gain for you. Taking Gates lost you your only chance to get guys to fill these spots.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i remember correctly, williams was one of the only rb's left on the board w/ a reasonable shot at starting 16 games (or at least being any good in the process)

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, but I would've taken Dunn, Barlow, Arrington, Bennett or Taylor before Williams.

[ QUOTE ]
the manning pick was maybe too early, but i let all those TD passes blind me a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Manning will probably be great this year, QB's just aren't that valuable in your league. You could've picked up a decent QB in 6th rd or later, but no way are you going to get a quality RB there.

[ QUOTE ]
the gates pick: the rb i wanted was still available a couple rounds later (larry johnson), and the elite WR's had just gone off the board, so the thinking was i won't get a WR/RB who's considerably better than what i can get next round, but i can get one of the best TE's now and solidify a really weak position. same reason i'd take a top 5 2B over a top 30 OF, even though the OF has better stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

1st I would've taken Gonzalez ahead of Gates. Gates has 1 great year, Gonzalez has been the top TE forever. 2nd TE's are similar to QB's, there are plenty to go around. Yes, your TE will be a bit better than most of the other team's TE. But drafting him early in the 3rd, you passed up some servicable RB's (Taylor, Brown, Foster, Benson) and some stud WR's (Walker, Wayne, Johnson, Jackson).

Now you're stuck using Larry Johnson as your RB#2 (who won't score more than a couple of points a week unless Holmes is injured) and Keenan McCardell as your flex (who also won't score more than a couple of points a week) and what are you going to do during bye weeks and when some of your guys get injured? Brandon Jacobs??? Reche Caldwell??? You're going to get slaughtered at these positions by MUCH more than your TE is going to gain for you. Taking Gates lost you your only chance to get guys to fill these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

live and learn, i guess. this is actually my first football draft, so i'm kinda green. but you should see me put together a kick ass pitching staff.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 AM

Going through somewhat quicky, and ignoring the K and D positions, I think the two strongest teams are Toi Cooks and Fred Taylor's Groin.

I think FTG has a slight edge with his starters, but TC has a bit better and deeper of a bench.

If Benson would have signed a few weeks ago, I'd say Toi Cooks is the best team in the league. With the questions surrounding him at this moment, I think these two teams are REAL close.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, i couldn't pass up peyton at #5

[/ QUOTE ]

omg yes you could have.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 AM

14 1 Rudi Johnson RB
19 2 Tatum Bell RB
46 3 Andre Johnson WR
51 4 Nate Burleson WR
78 5 Todd Heap TE
83 6 Drew Brees QB
110 7 David Akers K
115 8 Chester Taylor RB
142 9 Amani Toomer WR
147 10 Atlanta Def
174 11 Joey Galloway WR
179 12 Jeb Putzier TE
206 13 Gus Frerotte QB
211 14 Maurice Morris RB

I missed a few picks cuz the timing of the draft missed my schedule a little bit and i had no idea who was left at the end.

meh, its decent.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM

He's not gonna be a backup very often or for very long. Bennett isn't very good and he's got a strained neck right now. I think you're going to like your Moore pickup a whole heck of a lot as the season moves forward. Nice pick.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not gonna be a backup very often or for very long. Bennett isn't very good and he's got a strained neck right now. I think you're going to like your Moore pickup a whole heck of a lot as the season moves forward. Nice pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too, I'm just saying that for now he's just a kick returner. If he overtakes Bennett due to injury or just because Bennett sucks, then obviously he'll be starting FLEX.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:53 PM

Last I saw on ESPN Insider, it said that Bennett was doing a good job holding on to the starting job so far through camp.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Tice said locally that Bennett has a neck strain and didn't seem confident he'd be back in time to start against Tampa in Week 1. Meanwhile, Bennett maintains he's fine and will only miss this week's preseason game. Tice has also been going out of his way to praise Moore's pass blocking, a far cry from last year. Seems like Tice might be trying to move Moore into the number one slot without hurting Bennett's feelings.

Not to mention that even if Bennett does start at number one he has absolutely no idea how to avoid and/or take a hit and will be banged up within a week or two.