Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Playing a non-standard hand

Live tourney, $45 entry, 220 players, top 20 paid.
T1500 to start, we are currently about an hour in on level 4 (100/200). Blinds increase every 12 minutes.

Hero has T1500. Villain has at least T4000.

Villain is a solid player, probably one of the better players in the tourney.

Folded to villain on the button, who min-raises to T400. Hero is in BB w/T-4o.

Villian is aggressive in position and has been raising preflop several times and either getting no action or getting some doofus to go all-in with a weaker hand, and also one 3-outer on the river. In these tourneys, getting lucky is mandatory because there is not enough time/chips to sit around waiting for AA.

Clearly this hand is terrible, but I had a pretty strong feeling that villain was just on a blind steal, but I didn't have enough to make him fold with a reraise all-in. I decided to call and see what the flop brings. My plan was to check any flop and let him bet. He would almost surely bet enough to put me all-in or bet enough that a reraise all-in by me would make him pot committed.

Flop: K-T-4r

I quickly check, villain asks how much I have, then checks.

Turn: A

I check again, he quickly moves all-in. I can't see him making this play with a set and I have to think he bets on the flop with AK. I put him on a weak ace, and I played this hand specifically to double-up if I hit the flop, so I called.

Roast away.