Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Hi, I\'m a LAG

So I was multitabling some 2/4 last night and realized that I've definitely reached the point of being a LAG. I haven't been playing poker seriously for a few months, and I'm not sure if I just don't have the patience for it anymore, or if I'm just in the natural progression that Ray Zee one wrote about. I rarely see a reason not to raise preflop in any pot I'm entering. If I think there's some chance of my stealing a pot, I try to, at other times I'll just pump draws ruthlessly and try to pound opponents into submission. 3-betting JJ when raised on an A high flop is standard.

How many of you have gone through phases like this? How did you get through it?

My standard game used to be the $100NL 6 max with 1/2 blinds, but I haven't played any since they changed the blind structure. I did put in about 8,000 hands at the 2/4 over a period of 3 months from Dec-Feb though with a 6BB/100 winrate with 16/10/2.5 stats. The winrate is unsustainable but I don't see why 3BB/100 wouldn't be possible. Over the past few months I've bought a house, killing the bankroll, and just taken more of an interest outdoor activities, but I'd like to get back to playing poker about 15 hours a week for some significant side income. I thought 2/4 would be a good place to start, but not with my current mindset.

Any suggestions for getting my head on straight?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Hi, I\'m a LAG

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I havent reached that step yet.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first step is admitting you have a problem. I havent reached that step yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I forgot the other 11 steps.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:42 PM

im a lag too, but i think that its optimal strategy for my case. i have a pfr of 20.5 in 6max. maybe you are just reaching a new revelation as a player, either that or you are leaking all your money away.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:50 PM

just start spending more time on the forum reading and then practicing what youve learned. somewhere on this sight malmuth has a list of books he recommends serious players read. check a couple of them out, youll see how much it helps and why you should play tight-aggressive and not loose-aggressive (in the long run, you make more money playing the former when compared to the latter).

so until you get up to speed with the technical stuff, the first thing you should try to do at the table is be patient. dont feel the need to play a hand just because you folded the last twenty. its all about making money and being patient and playing with a tight-aggressive style is the best way to do that.

--cheap