Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: How many of the BIG GAME players are the real deal?

But now that Ivey is in the big game, and has been there a while, and has been profitable, and has earned the respect and adulation of the likes of Greenstein, at what point do you cut him slack and say wow Ivey is world class?

You may not begrudge Ivey the money he has won, but you give him less credit because he won a bunch of money in tournies and landed himself in the big game. Seems he should get some credit for winning a bunch of money in tournies, and then being succesful at the higher levels. I understand how you don't believe that being succesful at the higher levels is an indicator of higher skill, but money earned is the best proxy for that we have going.

With so many people with the 'same skill' - mastering the lower limits, and occasionally hitting big in tournies, why have so few gone on to be winners long term in the big game? Seems that those that do should be afforded some credit. And it is also interesting that Big ring game players also have found success in large buy-in tournies. Now maybe they can better afford the buy-ins but with the abundance of satellites live and on-line, I think Bankroll is hardly a limiting factor to large buy-in tournies for successful middle limit players.

I am a succesful low limit player. I think I am great. SOmetimes when I step up, I am so focused I do really well. Othertimes when playing outside my comfort zone, it is a distraction. I certainly do not play well at micro limits. To much yawn factor. To think godzillionaires could play their best at middle limits as a showcase of skill is asking a lot.

Until their is a better proxy than bankroll growth, I gotta give the guys at top their due.

And though you may have mastered the 15-30 level, without knowing anything other than what I read, I would have to give more credit to those that have mastered the 4k-8k level. Sorry.

BTW what did you think of the Greenstein comments on the 5 best?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 PM

Are you saying that you would wager on El diablo against Smoothcall playing 15-30 Holdem? O.K so how do we do this?

Vince
Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that you would wager on El diablo against Smoothcall playing 15-30 Holdem? O.K so how do we do this?

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

PM him and see if he wants a HU match... If that's what you're talking about.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must be a player yourslef with those great reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

First perceptive thing you have said.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the pope catholic?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:12 AM

Smoothcall doesn't play heads-up. I'm not sure that would be fair but I'll try and think of something that might work. I understand that my opinion doesn't count for much up here on this forum but I'll give it anyway. No one and I mean no one plays Limit Holdem poker better at the 15-30 level among Las Vegas regulars than Smoothcall. You really don't have to take my word for it though. Just walk into Bellagio one day. Talk to a few regular 15-30 players and ask them who they think the best limit Holdem player is at the 15-30 level. Bring me the names up here on the forum and I'll let you know if Smoothcall is among them. I'm positive that he will be at the top of the list.

Vince
Old 05-11-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the pope catholic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Pope?

Vince
Old 05-11-2005, 03:22 PM

It is hard to tell if someone is beating the game when we know nothing about whose taking the money. It is quite possible someone like daniel could play in that game for years and we wouldn't know if he was a winner or not. Becasue he will still be rich from books and adevertising or if he hit more tournies. Same with Phil I. So we may never know. But i do suspect Phil I. is good. Not "wolrd class" but good. I say this because of the statement by Barry G. But when Barry G. made those statements in his blog when he rated players. He said he thought Phil I was great tournament player and will be great in the big game too. Then he said some of the other players in our game our skeptical of whether he is a great live player in our game. But he said he thinks he will change there skeptical minds in the future. Or somerhting to that effect. So do i think Phil I. is weak player? No. Do i think he is world class. Probably not yet. But he is young and is possible. Jmo.

Barry G. top 5 put Doyle in there. So maybe Doyle can still play. and i already discuussed Phil I. chip and chau for sure. Barry not sure how he plays. Daniel makes it sound like he's not that good. But it could just be daniel's dislike for Barry.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 PM

Agreed
Old 05-11-2005, 08:34 PM

I have read through this thread, and it sucks. Smoothcall, if you are reading this, stop right now. This thread sucks. It started out asking who the real deal is, and basically turned into Smoothcall saying he knows just about everything about everyone. And then basically Lepore kisses his ass. Pretty much anything that he posts in turns to solid crap. Sorry for my troll post. But I have really had enough. This forum has some quite bad posts. Anticipating his reply (if he didn't stop when I told him to[idiot]), I won't be reading any of the horsecrap that you post from now on. Basically I think you post to toot your own horn and hear yourself post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]