Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:10 AM

Default I think there\'s something fundamentally wrong with how I played this.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t940)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t1750)</font>
SB (t1850)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t1315)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1010)</font>
UTG+2 (t740)
MP1 (t565)
MP2 (t1695)
MP3 (t890)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls t40, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t150) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t150</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t450) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t400</font>, HERO pushes all in, Button calls t420.

River: (t1270) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of noteworthy points:

I fully expected get reraised by someone on late position. That is why I minimum raised preflop. I was disappointed that I didn't get to re-pop it preflop.

Checking the turn to him was to induce a bet. I didn't expect him to take the free card, although I knew it was a small possibility. His raise on the flop tells me has has AK, KJ, KQ, or A-x suited in hearts. AK is unlikely, as he didn't reraise preflop.

Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: I think there\'s something fundamentally wrong with how I played this.

Looks fine, I may have repopped the flop, or raised more PF, but you got all the money in when you are likely the big favorite (only behind AA). The reason to be more aggresive to make the flush draws pay...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: I think there\'s something fundamentally wrong with how I played this.

If you want to reraise on the flop, then just limping is probably better. Only the premiums are likely to raise.

Postflop I think the line is good. Did he actually have the AA?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: I think there\'s something fundamentally wrong with how I played th

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to reraise on the flop, then just limping is probably better. Only the premiums are likely to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that, but I hate limping big hands from EP... especially early in the tourney. I figure a min raise might imply I hold a PP like 77-TT. Maybe someone holding AJs or something like that would reraise and I could push.

PG
Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM

Yeh i hate the 40 raise preflop make it at least 80 to go 40 is to weak you might get a bunch of limpers and get sucked out in the future. Maybe its just preference on my part but only mistake i see is that.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM

95% of the time I'd raise more preflop to narrow the field. I explained that I fully expected a reraise from late position, otherwise I'd have just played it ABC.

PG
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
95% of the time I'd raise more preflop to narrow the field. I explained that I fully expected a reraise from late position, otherwise I'd have just played it ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the assessment that if you want to get raised PF limping is a much better way to go. Your stance that "I don't like limping in EP with big hands" doesn't make a ton of sense here, because minraising isn't going to be that much different in thinning the field, functionally. Plus, minraising frequently sets off much stronger alarms in a wider range of players than limping, at least when the blinds are small. If you wanted to get reraised PF, limping is the way to go.

The weak lead on the flop is interesting. Do you only make bets like this with monsters? If so, that's a problem; such behavior (coupled with the preflop minraise) suggests a fairly easy to read weak = strong betting pattern which will let observant opponents off the hook more than you'd like. If this is how you usually bet then it's somewhat better, but I prefer a 1/2-2/3 pot bet as a more standard raise, as it's more effective for when you're trying to take the pot with junk, which is going to be more common than trying to get your monsters paid.

The turn play is strong, I like it a lot. If you happened to run into AA, then so be it; you were going to lose your stack on this hand no matter what.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Honestly, I think you played it like a total fish. Bet more on the flop if you are going to bet, raise more pf, etc.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 PM

how often do you guys go for the limp reraise pflop with KK vs AA in early position?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Default thoughts and results

OK I guess I should have elaborated that my read and personal feeling about the button was that he is a poor player and would overplay his hands. I also felt his postflop skills were poor. I had seen him reraise from late position, and won a decent pot when his 6-7 offsuit flopped 2 pair... point being I had him in the crosshairs the whole time.

The weak flop bet was to induce a bluff, which worked. I think he would have folded had I reraised all in on the flop.

Going with my initial read, I risked giving him a free card when the ace fell, cause I thought there was a decent chance he'd have an ace and would bet, or would bluff if he didn't. Obviously that worked out well for me.

Him having AA never crossed my mind. There was no way he slowplays that hand preflop.

He turned out to have A-T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for top pair and a flush draw. When I pushed he thought for a long time before calling, he was getting 4-1 from the pot at that point, I think that's a pretty easy call in that situation... but like I said, I don't give him credit for being that good of a player postflop.

The reason I posted this is, although it worked out for me in getting maximum value, I didn't feel too good about how I played the hand and I just wanted some opinions.

Thanks

PG