Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Final Table Question

We are three handed at the final table of a $10 PR tournament. 1.5K/3K blinds. We have been three handed for about 5 orbits. I have been the chip leader the entire time. I have the button, with approx. 60K. Small blind has around 30K and Big Blind has around 25K. I get delt 88 and make it 10K to go, which has been my standard raise when I have the button. Small blind pushes and big blind calls. What should I do and why?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Final Table Question

Partially dependent on reads, moods and payouts.

If I like my chances against both of them, and there is a big bump in pay going from 2 to 3, I fold this, pretty much lock in the 2nd place money, and play heads-up basically even in chips.

If I am worried about my chances, I call and try for the knockout punch right now. Chances are you lock in 2nd place money, and start out as an underdog chip wise.

If there has been some loose play, restealing etc. that tilts me more towards the call. If they have been real tight and haven't come over the top before, I fold. Usually, I am very agreesive short handed especially against weak opponents, I give them the benefit of the doubt the 1st time they play back - unless I have the goods. 88 just isn't that good against two random hands both all-in. Come to think of it, I probably fold.

JMHO
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Post this on the STT forum, with the payout amounts, chip sizes, and reads. They break it down using relative cash value of chips, etc. Just make sure to ask nice.

Oh yeah, what section of the CFA exam is low level Tournament Poker? Client relations?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the input. I insta-called without thinking it through, and it worked out, I took it down when they showed AQ and AT. I hit an 8 on the turn. But the more I think about it, I agree 100% with you rationale. I was clearly playing better than both of the other people, who both were lucky to get where they were (i think they both sucked out) I think a leak of mine is to instacall without thinking these things through.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:28 PM

that's actually a pretty tough decision,my first thought here was it's an easy fold,since it gets you heads up or very close to it if the shorter stack wins,but since you still have a good stack if you lose,and 1 of them will also lose and be pretty much out,the worst case sinario is pretty much you're heads up with half the stack of the leader(no big deal),and the best case is you win the tourney right here,so really unless an unlikely split comes for the two smaller stacks,you get heads up,or 1 guy has 5k left,so after thinking it thru,i likely call also.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Not as big of a leak as playing MTTs at 4am, drunk off your ass on cheap wine, listening to Wu tang clan and singing to yourself.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM

This question needs a couple more pieces of info. Payouts? Time til blinds increase? Reads?

Without further info, this is an easy fold. You are likely to get heads up with relatively equal stacks. Call, and you are likely a dog, or at best a tiny favorite (even if they are not paired, odds against, say, AJ and QK are 36, 32, 31 against). Depending on the payouts, your tournament equity is going to skyrocket here regardless of your chip lead.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Not so sure its an 'easy' fold but:

You are a dog to the range of hands they can be on. Big time. I figure you take the pot 30% or so with 88 against 2 opp. here. Even if the 1st guy is loose, the 2nd guy is not going to be loose at all. I would give myself 30% equity for this pot in any calculation involving the prize structure of the tourney.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Jax,

Thanks for the reply, that was my first post, and after I sent it I realized I should have put some additional info. I was not playing for 2nd place. I was only focused on winning. Saying that I also thought I was a superior player after sitting with each of these guys for an extended period of time. The more I think of it, I think a fold is the right play; get heads up with even stacks.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 AM

I wasn't too concerned with the payout structure. It was an 85 person $10 PR tounament, so the money wasn't huge.