Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Party\'s WSOP NL MTT Qualifier 6th hand... KK

No read on the Villian, 6th hand of the MTT.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t850)
MP2 (t1190)
MP3 (t925)
CO (t820)
Button (t975)
SB (t985)
BB (t1085)
UTG (t1185)
UTG+1 (t985)
UTG+2 (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t55</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls t40, UTG+1 calls t40.

Flop: (t172.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, BB calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90.

Turn: (t442.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t250.

River: (t942.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I have about 450 left, Villian has me covered. What's my play? Do I check behind the scare card, or am I losing value being paranoid about the runner runner flush? Am I committed to the pot if I make any bet?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Party\'s WSOP NL MTT Qualifier 6th hand... KK

I don't think he calls your flop bet without the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'd say your good and rarely get shown A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:11 PM

Call me weak, but I check behind. With the cold calls, he may have a pair, but could easily have been on the club draw.

I simply ask myself the question, If I bet and he comes back over the top will I puke?

There aren't too many losing hands that will call another bet on the river, maybe a weak king, but there are a bunch if hands you can lose to. The risk reward doesn't seem right. Check behind.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he calls your flop bet without the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'd say your good and rarely get shown A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say you never get shown A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd value bet the river for 250 to make it look like I'm bluffing (not wanting to commit my whole stack). I think this early in the tournament you'll run into a lot of weak opponents who would have misplayed this hand as the villain probably did and are weak enough to call the 250 with as little as A-high. If it gets pushed back, I grit my teeth but still call.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:36 PM

pot the river. it is pretty unlikely you're going to see a running flush, i also think that there are a lot of worse hands that call or reraise you here as well.

Undersets will call or raise you here, pp from 8 and up will call the river bet.

i really couldn't check behind on that river/
Old 04-29-2005, 12:40 PM

I misread the betting order here. Edit respone below:

I'd put villain on 66 drawing to the open ended straight before putting him on the backdoor flush. Definitely bet the river, maybe $200 or so. If he raises all in he's probably slow played a smaller set. I just don't see any reason to be afraid of a flush here.

Hate to see that scare card, but that's why you posted the hand in the first place!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:44 PM

I think that almost all online player would value bet the river if they made their flush, so I'm not expecting the nuts to check raise. Besides, what starting hands do you put UTG on to chase a backdoor flush. I think this reads more like a middle pair that may or may not have made a lower set.

I would make a value bet of t200 and call any push.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:57 PM

This is a tough spot the way he played the hand. It's hard to figure out what he may be holding but I would be a bit surprised to see him on a back door flush that got there.

I think I value bet the same 250 you bet on the turn which gives him 5-1 on his call which he shouldn't pass up with any decent hand. If he made a flush i can't see him checking it to you on the river and taking the chance that you check behind.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:03 PM

RESULTS: Well, I thought along the lines of most of you and bet 150, he check-raised me all-in and I made a crying call, and he show me the nut flush A5. And I bust the 6th hand of this WSOP qualifier.

That being said, was a 250 bet into a 450 pot not enough&gt; Should I have been happy with the pot and bet something larger like 350?

BTW good call Lurshy, you were the only one to check behind. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 PM

I just wonder if you priced yourself out of the pot by only betting 1/2 pot on the flop and again half on the turn.

He was getting good odds on his draw and you allowed him to get to the river cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Who knows maybe he thought his 5 was good. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]