Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Line Check - flopped the nuts

Set-up: 1st level of low-buy in PP NL HE tourney third round. Aside from one limp, from sb and co, i haven't seen any flops. I get 8d9d UTG+1 and decide to open raise for 55. This is low buy-in so I figure to build a mult-way pot with this action.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t955)
UTG+2 (t1300)
MP1 (t855)
MP2 (t1600)
MP3 (t970)
CO (t1700)
Button (t950)
SB (t1740)
BB (t700)
UTG (t1710)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t55</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t55, CO calls t55, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t40.

OK, 4 to the flop...

Flop: (t227.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

I flopped the nuts. Rainbow board. Coool, now what, how do I get paid? Figure I would throw out a weak lead. A check is just to suspicious, a big bet may drive people away.

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, BB calls t60.

Two customers folded to my weak lead [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Turn: (t347.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hmm, scare card, top card paired, flush draw on board. I would reraise a bet, but he checked. I figure a bet will take it down. Maybe I can induce a bluff on the river so I check behind. Is this fancy play syndrome?

BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t347.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I don't think the K on the river is good for me as he can put me on AK the way I played it. He checks. I need to bet something, so I through out a 200$ bet, and take it down.

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t547.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8d 9d (straight, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins t547.50. </font>

I know sometimes you need a 2nd best to make a pot, but would have taken different lines?
Old 03-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Line Check - flopped the nuts

for me your preflop raise ruined your chance to take down a big pot here,your opponents are giving you credit for overcards and this spoils your str8 money making potential.suited connectors play best in pots that are unraised and someone flops top pair and you flop the nuts.
i know you're trying to build a pot here with your small raise,but in no limit you never need to with those cards,not many players online can handle a check and not bluff at the pot,and 2 checks,you are almost guaranteed to get a nice sized bluff out of someone in an unraised pot.many players strategy is to win small pots with pot sized bets,i like to check/call these bets until the river when i have the nuts,then push on the river,many ways to do it,but that's my early strategy play.