Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 AM

Default tptk out of position on flushing board

My opponent here is very loose (seeing 75% of flops). Weird mixture of passive and overaggressive, but leans more towards laggy. I haven't seen him doing much calling down. He'll run a bluff for all 4 streets, then not bet TP2K with AQs. He's done some semibluffing out of position then bluffed the missed draw at a calling station. He's pretty awful, but I'm stuck out of position with TPTK on a board that's getting progressively uglier. On the flop I give him credit for a J, T, 77-99 or draw. He's been fastplaying big hands, but I say that not having seen him with one in position. (He and the button big-stack have been fighting it out.)

When the 4-flush hits this river, I just curse my luck for being out of position and give up on the hand, right? He's guaranteed to bet if checked to. Or should I have given up on the turn? I'm far from convinced I'm behind when the 6 hits, but he could plausibly just call my turn bet with a made flush. My plan there was to check-call a reasonable bet on a non-diamond river, but having seen him make a 4/5-pot bet river bluff I'm not sure what "reasonable" means. I'm having trouble taking his out-of-position play and turning it into a read for what he does in position.

Also, if I know villain and the button are going to call my pfr (which I did, big stack is seeing 80% of flops) is there a reasonable argument for open-limping preflop? I know I'm going to be playing against them out of position no matter what I do.

Thoughts on any of this'd be appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($32)
MP1 ($100.5)
MP2 ($113.55)
Hero ($130.75)
CO ($96.03)
Button ($475.5)
SB ($111.11)
BB ($107)
UTG ($99.25)
UTG+1 ($200.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, CO calls $3.50, Button calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($12) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, CO calls $7.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($27) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, CO calls $13.

River: ($53) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: tptk out of position on flushing board

I hate these situations against LAGs and I don't know the best line. I have the best success against a LAG after I beat him in a big pot or two. In this hand you could easily be way ahead. Since you put him on such a wide range on the flop I think you either have to make a substantial turn bet; check/fold the turn; or check/call the hand down. I'm 50/50 on whether to bet about the pot on the turn or to check/fold. The $13 turn bet makes it look like you don't like your hand. Certainly you don't want to do this against a LAG unless you really do like your hand. I think I lean torwards betting the turn hard.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: tptk out of position on flushing board

Ethan -

I think your line is very good. Yeah, river is horrid. Check-fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Or should I have given up on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the bet is good.