Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM

Default TPWK in BB facing short-stack push

Party 30+3, 1330 started, maybe 750 still in it.

Villain here is in the SB, I'm in the BB. He'd been at the table for 15 hands and hadn't played a single one until the hand previous to this one. There, the SB completed and he pushed from his BB, SB folded. Table's been pretty tight for the time he's been present.

On the flop, I check because I expect a bet from the EP limper, and then I get to see what the SB does before I act. A min-bet and a push. If SB had a pair, say, 77 or better I'd expect him to push preflop. Same for any hand that'd be overcards to the flop. Basically, I assume he's on a total bluff or has a jack (or maybe 34). If he has a J, I don't think it's AJ, and he might well have pushed preflop with KJ as well. I'm not too concerned with the big-stack EP limper. So I push.

Good? I thought about it for awhile before I pushed, but my guess is this should feel standard to me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t1222)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t1140)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2410)</font>
UTG (t2830)
UTG+1 (t680)
UTG+2 (t4780)
MP1 (t4415)
MP2 (t2145)
MP3 (t125)
CO (t2093)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1040 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1980</font>
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: TPWK in BB facing short-stack push

With TPWK three way, my line is usually 3/4ish pot bet/fold to reraise or check/fold to significant raise. You went the check route so I think I fold here unless I have a really strong read that short stack is desperate enough to try bluffing against multiple people and that the other villain isn't even thinking about calling. It's just not worth risking 1/2 your stack to find out if your hand beats the short stack and the other 1/2 of your stack to find out if the big stack's min bet was actually an attempt to get more money into the pot. You can find a better spot to get your money in.