Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Default KK on the bubble - Sat Final Table

This was from a 23+2 PP Millions IV Satellite. The top 8 get buy-in to semi-finals. 9th place goes to bed with less then Sat tourney buy-in. 80 People started. 9 are left. We've been playing 9 handed for about 20 minutes!

This is from memory (can't find the HH this morning grr)

I am one of two short stacks at the table. We and most other stacks are playing very conservatively. A couple of Large stacks mix it up on occasion, but have usually given up on pots b4 the showdown. I've done two steals in 4 orbits to hold my own.

The other short stack after being desparate, doubled up. Based on Stack/blinds, we are not desparate, but with so few opps, things are very dicey.

Blinds 200/400

SB Big Stack ~17K
BB Medium Stack ~5K
UTG Short Stack around 1.5K
UTG+1 through MP all have medium stacks 5-9k
Hero CO-2 2nd shortest stack around 2.8K
CO-1 Big Stack2 ~15K
CO Big Stack3 ~17K This guy was a medium stack and played a A9os against 2 biggest stacks, taking chips.
Button Medium Stack ~6K

Hero Dealt KK

UTG calls 400
Folded to hero in CO-2.

What to do?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: KK on the bubble - Sat Final Table

I just push. UTG will be almost forced to call, and you are almost definitely way ahead. I would guess that everyone else will get out of the way, sensing that they would get to the semifinals if you knock him out. Sounds like you're not happy, bad beat?

Aceragclubs
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM

Make a huge raise and hope for a reraise?? I mean your 2nd short stack, do yu think checkfolding(or just generally playing weak) will NECESSARILY get you into the prizepool?? I dont and I have no misgivings on goin out with KK here. The other players must realize you wont risk your entire tourney on garbage ....so a call will be hard. No ace on the flop I push and take it down as fast as possible you really just wanna put some room between yourself and the shortest stack moving him into desperation mode.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:07 PM

Don't tell me, UG had AA and you doubled him up.
This happened to me recently.

Anyway, I think you need to push here. Plus you got him covered.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:28 PM

Some of my thoughts:

4 Options:

1- Fold:
If I fold, I am still about 75% to win the buy-in. The short stack could go out, and even if he doubles up, is still in trouble (albeit a bit ahead of me). There was enough stupid stuff going on to see the likely hood of a medium stack going out with lets say an overpair vs a set, or some other non-nuts.

Then again I have KK. Folding is just too weak.

2. Call
Look to push flop. Most likely any flop would be checked, and we would be three way (4 way if SB came along). I may have more folding equity on flop, than if I pushed PF. Kind of an out of position stop &amp; go. And if they call with a draw or under pair, fine. And if I'm heads up after my raise vs. Short Stack, I have him covered.

Call any reraise preflop.

If Ace flops and its bet ahead of me???

3- Min Raise - could take down pot, or get heads up with UTG, or someone else if the come over-the-top. Pretty much pot commited, though could make a crying fold on flop if I needed to (multi-way with ace on flop??). Table was so tight that most PF raises were min, and they often took down pot (especially if they were open raise which this wasn't).

4-Push - Really try to take it down, or get heads up vs. short stack. I have him covered if he sucks out.

Those were my thoughts, I'll say what I did, and the results a little later.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:44 PM

honestly the min raise here is dangerous, depending on the caliber of your opponents cause you could very likely pick up a lot of callers from the bigger stacks. i hopes of picking off your obvious huge hand.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 PM

I agree.

Although I stated the 4 options, the only two I seriously considered were Pushing and Calling (with the thought of pushing the flop).

I wound up Pushing, trying to take it down, or get heads up with the UTG short stack.

Instead, The SB did what big stacks do when they can close down the game. He called with A2s. Everyone else quickly folded, after all, why should the short stack play if the SB is willing to try and take me out now that I risked all my chips.

The SB picked up the Ace on the river and won. With out an Ace or a draw on the flop, he very well may have folded to an all-in by me on the flop, though I'll never know for certain. I think call / push was really my best option, but that may be hind sight.

I don't think his PF call terrible given the implied odds that if he wins the hand he wins, and if he loses, he is still very healthy and likely to win.

As a matter of fact, in situations like this, I am surprised that the other two big stacks didn't call as well. It could have been a 3 on one, and although if I quadrouple up I'm healthy, the chances of my hand holding up multi-way is small.