Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Endgame question

I cant get bisons convertor to work, so I'll just post the HH. 3 table MTT on UB, top 5 paid. I'll post street by street once I get some responses.

Villan is at seat 4 with 17930.
XXXXX is at seat 6 with 10845.
Red_Eye_Jedi is at seat 9 with 16225.
The button is at seat 9.

Villan posts the small blind of 400.
XXXXX posts the big blind of 800.

XXXXXXX: -- --
XXXXX: -- --
Red_Eye_Jedi: 5c 4c

Pre-flop:

Red_Eye_Jedi calls. Villan raises to 3200.
XXXXX folds. Red_Eye_Jedi ?????
Old 09-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Endgame question

Not to be flippant, but 3 handed and short handed play is much more about context and flow than it is about hand value in isolation.

The expert play is to fold, call, raise or jam depending on all the factors you didn't mention, specifically, how you got to this point in the tourney, your appraisal of the skill level of the villain, how you are percieved, etc, etc.

-Oz-
Old 09-29-2005, 04:20 PM

I guess reads would help huh. Brainfart. Villan has been the table coach since we started the FT. I started the FT as the shortie, but caught a mega heater with 6 left. Seems pretty pissed that ive been getting good cards. Has folded to 70-80% of my short allins, showing some pretty decent hands. J10, Qx etc. Seems more concerned about surviving than confrontations.

I'm a cash game player getting into tourneys, so Im not really sure what a "standard" line here would be.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Hero folds.

You still have ~20XBB left, I'd avoid a confrontation right now with this hand. They just look pretty. If they weren't suited would you even consider it?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:00 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my previous response. The clear default move here is to fold. You are getting neither the pot or implied odds to continue.

Any other options to continue would be because you have a specific reason that you are making a play on this player i.e. you "know" he will fold to a jam, or won't put any more $$ in the pot if he doesn't hit the board really hard, etc. But if you don't have a specific reason, 6 hi should be mucked here.

-Oz-
Old 09-30-2005, 03:21 AM

Hoping for more preflop replies, but the real decision is on the flop anyway.

I called, getting marginal odds but having position. I'm not worried about getting outplayed, and am positive my hand isnt dominated. This is a standard move in a cash game for me, but it is that bad of a call in a tournament situation?

Flop (board: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]):

XXXXXXX bets 7200. Red_Eye_Jedi ?????

Judging from previous hands, I put him about 75% continuation betting two whiffed broadways and 25% PP 77-AA.

Again, Im new to tournament play, so please lay into me if this line seems fishy.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:35 AM

Hero pushes.

Your way ahead if he whiffed, and even if he has an overpair. If you call, you are getting the correct odds to call any turn bet, but he might decide to fold in the case where he whiffed and didn't improve, so get the money in now.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hoping for more preflop replies, but the real decision is on the flop anyway.

I called, getting marginal odds but having position. I'm not worried about getting outplayed, and am positive my hand isnt dominated. This is a standard move in a cash game for me, but it is that bad of a call in a tournament situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably fold preflop to the raise. Against a guy who's been captaining the table and will almost certainly lead out on any flop, you'll probably have to hit to continue, and you won't hit often. (And sometimes you'll hit and still doubt your hand.)
The shorter stacks (and shorthanded table) mean you have to adjust your hand selection somewhat away from drawing hands and more towards showdown hands. That's where the problem lies.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop (board: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]):

XXXXXXX bets 7200. Red_Eye_Jedi ?????
Judging from previous hands, I put him about 75% continuation betting two whiffed broadways and 25% PP 77-AA.

Again, Im new to tournament play, so please lay into me if this line seems fishy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, has he been betting the pot as a continuation? That's kinda donkish, especially at this stage. (Oh, I know it's possible: I've played opponents that, say, hit "bet pot" when it's 800 chips and fold when I move in for 300 more.) How high was the buy-in? The pot bet tends to mean less at lower stakes.

I don't think it matters, though, because I'm pretty sure I go all in here. You got enough of this board to go all the way with this hand, and if you win you will be in a tremendous spot to take first.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 PM

This was an $11. I saw him make this same play at least three times and fold to a push. I figured if I push here he only calls with an overpair, where im favored slightly, or a set which would suck. I was a little worried that he might gamble with a higher flush draw, but I cant see him making that call very often. So I push and he insta calls with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I catch a donkish 4 on the river and he loses it, telling me that he was a 95% favorite after the flop [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], and if this was a live tourney he'd kick my teeth in [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Its nice to be on the good side of variance once in a while.

[ QUOTE ]
and if you win you will be in a tremendous spot to take first.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the reason I called in the first place, figuring if I hit I can take his stack, but I understand what your saying about hands with showdown potential.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 PM

you have a 20BB stack with 45s in the cutoff. Fold.