Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Value - NFL vs. NBA

I just got into this less than a week ago sports betting, just doing this for fun, for now.

Anyway, my first initial reaction is there is alot more value in NBA picks vs. NFL picks. The house seems to have a much bigger edge in NFL games. Switching over to the NBA it almost looks like the house is begging for action with their lines. I guess the house gets alot of action on NFL games and that's why they push for a bigger edge with those games. Is this traditionally what the house does?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Value - NFL vs. NBA

I'm not experienced enough to speculate on house motives, but I will say that IMO the NFL has less value than any other sport, especially for a bettor who strictly handicaps. There is a ton of parody and nearly every game turns on the outcome of 1 or 2 plays or calls. The edges tend to be very small. (Think how many games are affected by 50-yard pass interference calls that could've gone either way. That rule should be changed.)
Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM

It's probably just me but I find the NFL much easier than the NBA. In the NFL you can match offense vs defense and teams have identities. I can't see that as well in the NBA. To me the NBA is much more about emotions and being up or down for a game as there are only 5 guys on the court. NFL is more a team sport.

I don't even bother picking the NBA anymore. I rely on following others on various boards who seem to be hot and have a knack for it. I am goofy so what I just said probably makes no sense at all. NFL and NCAA basketball are what I find the easiest. NBA is the one I find the toughest.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a ton of parody and nearly every game turns on the outcome of 1 or 2 plays or calls. The edges tend to be very small. (Think how many games are affected by 50-yard pass interference calls that could've gone either way. That rule should be changed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "parity," and parity is not the reason the NFL is hard to beat.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, the more a game is followed the harder it is to beat since the line will generally be accurate.

The best games to bet are the small conference college games that you have knowledge on.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct, the more a game is followed the harder it is to beat since the line will generally be accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. For example, look at the line in the NE/Indy playoff game last year.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. For example, look at the line in the NE/Indy playoff game last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the NE/Indy game this year. Indy should have been 40 point favorites (NE got lucky to keep it somewhat close).
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Or the Yankees/Angels and Red Sox/CWS Divisional Playoff lines.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a ton of parody and nearly every game turns on the outcome of 1 or 2 plays or calls. The edges tend to be very small. (Think how many games are affected by 50-yard pass interference calls that could've gone either way. That rule should be changed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think he meant parody. Afterall, it is pretty funny how 1 or 2 plays effects the outcome of the game.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This couldn't be farther from the truth.