Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Default very deep stars 10/20

opponent is h@llingol; a vry good lag, who is in super-aggro mode (i just won 2 8k+ pots off him in last 30min).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (3 handed)

SB ($9054)
Hero ($14147)
Button ($1990)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $80</font>, Hero calls $60.

Flop: ($160) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $380</font>, SB calls $260.

Turn: ($920) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks,

Hero?

thoughts, results to follow.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: very deep stars 10/20

check behind, hit your draw and raise the bet that you know is coming on the river.

miss your draw and fold to his river bet.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:06 PM

vs. a hyperaggro I think you have enough equity here to bet/3bet.

think about this: if you hit any one of your draws on the river, do you think he'll pay off a pot-sized bet?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Take your free card. You will explode if he check/raises you here.

While I typically like a raise on the flop here, as you did, stack sizes make it a bit awkward.

What do you do when he 3 bets?

The only good thing that I see about betting the turn is that (if he does just call) you can sell your hand for more on the river, and retain some fold equity.

With a draw this big, though, I would just take my free card, and check/fold unimproved on the river.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take your free card. You will explode if he check/raises you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will? I think it depends how much, checking behind, 1/2 pot, and full pot bets are all viable imo, along w/ either calling a checkraise, or bet/3betting. If just called I think i check behind at least 50% of rivers that dont hit me.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:09 PM

If you've been playing at all aggressively, I like a check behind here. This is because villain wouldn't call out of position just hoping to get to a cheap show-down, so the chances are that his flop call indicates a commitment to the hand and trying to weaken that commitment is probably chip-spewing. This, combined with the possibility of a big check-raise, seems to argue against betting.
But if you haven't been getting particularly aggressive or tricky, I would bet pretty big. He might have called hoping you'd slow down, and if so then the fact that you keep betting should scare him enough to get him off any QJ-type hand.
Obviously, a huge factor in answering these short-handed questions is the flow of the action/table image but not knowing much about that, this is about all I can think of.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:16 PM

i dont think this is even really an option, i take the free card any day of the week, because as of right now he probably has you beat (by my experience observing his play). he is allowing you to draw out on him, so make him pay for that move when you hit your hand on the river, you dont hit, you fold.. its simple poker here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 PM

I haven't played with h@ll.... but as I understand it, he's a pretty big fan of the overbet.

Doesn't that make it pretty tough to call?

Admittedly, if he makes just a pot sized raise, then you are real close to having correct expressed odds.

I suppose that your implied odds are huge, though (especially with your straight), and he might not even be able to put you on a flush draw if you call a big c/r. Of course, this assumes that he has a big hand or follows through on the river.

While I do think that the bet/3-bet line is pretty interesting, I would have to think that he was doing it as a bluff or with a weakish hand pretty damn frequently to consider it.

But yeah.. as FF said... a lot of this depends on the table dynamic.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he probably has you beat

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it is safe to bet that he has T high beat.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Flop raise is too small. Pot the turn. Seems to me that the people responding to the thread thus far have forgotten that effective stacks are 450xBB.

Edit: Removed the word "far."