Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Negreanu v.s. Williams, heads up

FWIW I actually thought David Williams played the better heads up match last night and probably would have won, save for Daniel catching huge cards.

Early in heads up action David had Daniel visably shaken. He was so routinely checkraised, he began checking through a lot of hands I think he would normally bet. If my memory serves it wasn't until Daniel's A2 snapped David's QQ that he regained a litte momentum. However, I noticed that after the next commercial break David had regained a decent chip lead.[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Granted, David goofed big time against in the KK hand. It was apparent Daniel was going all the way after committing 3/4ths of his stack. In the final hand he just got unlucky, having hit a K with Daniel holding AA again.

In the end both played well, but I didn't see as big a gap in skill as one might think before watching the action.

Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Negreanu v.s. Williams, heads up

I couldn't agree with you more. I was also surprised in a good way by the amount of heads up play they showed. It was a lot more than the typical WPT episode IMO. David Williams played great, and seeing Daniel getting upset is hilarious. He can be quite obnoxious.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a lot more than the typical WPT episode IMO. David Williams played great, and seeing Daniel getting upset is hilarious. He can be quite obnoxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they did show a great deal of heads up play. I like that. I thought Daniel's AA slow roll at the end was particularly lame. This guy seems to continuously get free passes.

Regards,
Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 PM

When the show is allotted two hours to be shown, and its down to 3 just after the first hour, you KNOW they're going to be showing a lot more hands then usual.

It was refreshing to see hands that people actually get vs hands people dream about.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM

I'll have to watch the slow-roll hand again (the final one with the Aces, correct?) because my impression was that he was just making sure that David was all-in before committing himself.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:29 PM

I don't know about you, but I personally dream about flopping trips with top kicker and Aces several times in the final table, especially when down to the final two, and rivering the nuts.

What hands do YOU dream about, exactly? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because my impression was that he was just making sure that David was all-in before committing himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did do that, like he had done before. Subsequently, he tilted his head back like he had something to ponder and then did a little pause, but then went into an I call happily gyration. It was more heat of the moment than something contrived, but I think David even mumbled "nice slowroll" at the end there. That kinda confirmed my impression.
It was quick, so I am more looking for confirmations of what I saw rather than trying to be accusatory.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Agree completely.

One of the best episodes of WPT ever. The only way it could have been better would be if VVP and MS were muted.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Williams did mutter, "Nice slowroll" after Daniel called, and granted, I was shitfaced, but unless they edited out a few seconds between Williams' push and Daniel's call, it sure didn't seem like a slowroll to me. I mean, yeah, it wasn't exactly the toughest call in the world, especially not HU, but it's not like Daniel had the nuts either. At least give the guy a second or two to think before making an all or nothing decision like that.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 PM

He took a little time to show his hand after calling. I think that was the slow roll. Not the time it took to call.

FWIW, I think David should have easily assumed he was beaten by daniel's expressions and the call.