Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Where would a 14 year old boy want to go with his father?

West Edmonton Mall is not a bad idea. You can turn him loose in the Mall and go play poker [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There's also a large amusement park with a monster roller coaster inside.

From Edmonton, you can get to the Rockies without too much effort as well (maybe 4-5 hours drive to Banff and Jasper). You may want to check out some of the Edmonton sites and look for some of the festivals that go off during the summer as well.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to take my son somewhere special for a few days before he starts high school in September, but I'm at a complete loss as to where to go. He's going to a cottage on the lake with his uncle and brother for a week, and we all go to the beach in Maine fora week, so I'd like to dosomething different with just the two of us.

Unfortunately he's not a big sports fan, with my younger son I'd just look for some baseball games or NFL pre-season and plan a trip around that. I'm torn between staying in Canada or opening it up to anywhere. I'd like there to be some physical excercise involved too.

My canadian thoughts so far were Vancouver, with a trip to whistler and maybe a whale watching trip, or Edmonton where the attrations at the West Edmonton Mall would interest him, and a trip into the Rockies at Jasper would be nice.

FOr a US trip I was thinking maybe San Diego or San Francisco. I'm totally open to suggestions.

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you asking us and not him?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
West Edmonton Mall is not a bad idea. You can turn him loose in the Mall and go play poker [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There's also a large amusement park with a monster roller coaster inside.

From Edmonton, you can get to the Rockies without too much effort as well (maybe 4-5 hours drive to Banff and Jasper). You may want to check out some of the Edmonton sites and look for some of the festivals that go off during the summer as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also have a shooting range in the mall or at least did as of a couple years ago.

If my dad taught me how to shoot a handgun when I was 14 that sure would have come in handy. Seriously though I would have thought my dad was cooler.

They also had some of those super sweeet (expensive) go carts (mini race cars).

EDIT...Last time i was there they also had a hooters. Not sure if Montreal does.

rJ
Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My canadian thoughts so far were Vancouver, with a trip to whistler and maybe a whale watching trip,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this some of the trip, then...

[ QUOTE ]
But my older boy is tougher to understand for me. His primary interest is music, he plays a mean guitar,

[/ QUOTE ]
Hop it down to Seattle and take him around the awesome local music scene there. I'm sure a few other 2p2ers can further expand on what's good in the Seattle area or the internet can aid you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The EMP (Experience Music Project) kind of sucks. Other than that there is not much I could see a 14 yr old and his dad doing music-related in Seattle.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:15 AM

I play Monopoly with my 14 year old son.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 AM

Its festival season if he is into guitar I would guess he is into rock/metal type stuff thers a few festivals going round ozzfest etc take him to somthing like that.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Outdoor ideas are great, but one thing that I don't think was mentioned among hiking, camping and what not is white water rafting.

[/ QUOTE ]

in english please. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 AM

go kart racing
Old 07-24-2005, 07:56 PM

You could combine the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame with a trip to Cedar Point about an hour away. This amusement park has about 4 of the top 10 roller coasters in the world. It's also on the lake so you could arrange a fishing trip.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:04 PM

badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger SNNNNNAKE badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger SNNNNNAKE badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger SNNNNNAKE badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger SNNNNNAKE