Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: small pot w/overcards

to quote flair from earlier:

My typical line here is bet/bet/check, then make a grimace and ask the Dog "How could that Jackass call down with 22". She usually says "woof" and I agree.

this is USUALLY my line also. this was a change of pace play for me. i did not bet the flop to keep the pot small so i would have a better chance of stealing it. i reiterate, this is not how i normally play this hand, i am trying something different, which is why i posted this. anyway, i don't know if i liked the line either as it is giving the draws a free shot to hit. i should have checked the river, i think, in retrospect. sorry to respond so late, i had an emergency in the plant that pulled me out of the office. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm less concerned with the lack of a flop bet than I am with you having placed a river bet. I don't think there's really anything wrong with taking a risk-free look at the turn when the flop missed you pretty bad. When it's checked to you again I like a bet. Obviously no one seems to like they're hand and any call is now getting ~1/4 of the odds they were getting on the flop.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:30 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

like i said, i agree with the river play. should have checked. i don't want that bet called, should never have made it. why even open myself up to a raise?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 PM

why would you do that
Old 07-15-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i should have checked the river, i think, in retrospect. sorry to respond so late, i had an emergency in the plant that pulled me out of the office. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when my job interfers, with stdying small stakes poker. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's really anything wrong with taking a risk-free look at the turn when the flop missed you pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crunchy,

A 445 flop 3-handed isn't a total miss for AQ. It's actually a pretty good flop for AQ. It's most likely that it "missed" everyone and AQ is best.

Chief
Old 07-15-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is USUALLY my line also. this was a change of pace play for me. i did not bet the flop to keep the pot small so i would have a better chance of stealing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this does the reverse. It shows your opponents you missed and you're likely to get called down by any pair now. I think this is a NL concept that doesn't apply here.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not betting the flop is a glaring error.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i did not bet the flop to keep the pot small so i would have a better chance of stealing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just foolish. Why would anyone put you on a pocket pair after you raise preflop and then check behind on this flop?

[ QUOTE ]
i reiterate, this is not how i normally play this hand, i am trying something different, which is why i posted this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well I did acid a couple of times...but never took it again after I almost jumped in front of a bus to try to stop a bad trip. Some experiments are just stupid.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:32 PM

thank you for your constructive criticism. its unbiased, concise delivery has allowed me to see the error in my ways. stupid, yes, most certainly. but apparantly i am a NL prodigy without even knowing it, so that is my NEW game. yahoo! ALL IN BABY!