Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Flopped the nuts after raising PF

I have no reads on villain because I'm at work and mostly only have the table open when its my turn to fold. Its a bad excuse but its true. If anybody has paid any attention to me, they will have noticed that I've followed up a PF raise with a potsized flop bet 100% of the time (always with 2 or 1 caller).

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($86.75)
UTG+1 ($32.05)
UTG+2 ($13.10)
MP1 ($23.45)
Hero ($70.65)
MP3 ($24.50)
CO ($24.25)
Button ($14.10)
SB ($33.35)
BB ($22.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Flopped the nuts after raising PF

I wouldn't do anything different, a check would smell fishy to him, just bet out. Maybe make it slightly less than the pot on the chance that he'll draw with a small one heart PP or come back over the top with an ace.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Do what you normally do and bet.

Checking is the worst line possible since if he has an ace with no heart you are not going to get paid off if you check-call and a heart hits on the turn.

Personally versus a readless player I'd bet out (typically I'd bet like 3.5 in this situation) and shrug it off if he folds and be ecstatic if he re-raises to "protect his hand". Versus a re-raise I'd simply call it and pray a heart didnt hit on the turn. I'd then try to check raise.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:31 PM

I think a pot sized bet is probably going to drop him unless he's got a set or something like AT with Th, especially given his puny stack.
I'd go with a 1/2 pot bet and take it from there.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:34 PM

bet half-pot, see who wants to play...no one will believe you have it.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I potted it and he folded. Any bet other than pot would look somewhat suspicious due to UB's "bet pot" button. The majority of flop bets are full pot and anything else usually attracts notice (well, I notice it anyway). I kind of figured he was so short that, if he had a hand to play, he'd put it all in regardless of what I bet but I guess it just wasn't meant to be this time.