Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 03:06 PM

Default QKs in bad position

Eh, I shouldn't be playing at this level. I may be playing with scared money, but I'm not sure how this should be played.

Pokerstars NL Hold 'em. $1 BB
I have a little under $100, villain has me covered.

UTG limps, I limp with KQd in UTG+1. Villain in MP raises to $4, folded to me. I call.

I already don't like this hand. Is this a raising hand in EP? Is it a folding hand? Should I fold to villain's raise? Why do I suck at poker? What is the meaning of life?

Pot: $10

Flop: 5JKr

I bet out $6, villain raises to $16.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't accidentally clicked on the $1BB table and decided to play.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: QKs in bad position

i don't play much (any) 10-player NL, but i'd fold to the raise. you're gonna be out of position and there's an excellent chance you're dominated. it's too ugly - get out.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM

which raise?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:24 PM

sorry, that wasn't very clear. i meant the first one, but if you accidentally called it, i'd fold to the second one as well.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a raising hand in EP? Is it a folding hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Given the UTG limp I think limping is fine. I don't like raising this up front - like you said, it sucks being out of position. I think a fold is too weak w/ no raise from UTG.
[ QUOTE ]
Should I fold to villain's raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Arguments can be made for and against it. Since it'll be heads up out of position, I would advise folding, especially since you're playing a little scared. Again, position is key and you're in a bad one.

Since you saw the flop, I like betting out, maybe for closer to 3/4 of the pot, but betting out is correct. When villian raises, you have to dump it. As long as you folded to the flop raise, you didn't play it as bad as you think.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I probably wouldnt call the preflop raise of position, but assuming I did. What does everyone think about a check-raise on the flop? Check, see how much he bets, and decide if you want to check-raise or fold. If he comes over the top of your raise, you can fold. If he calls... Well, I dunno, lol, that's one reason for not playing these easily dominated hands out of position.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:14 AM

Not knowing what to do if villian flat calls a c/r is why its best to bet out.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG limps, I limp with KQd in UTG+1. Villain in MP raises to $4, folded to me. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold when it is raised behind you. It's tough to win a big pot headsup out of position, and it's tough to win the pot when you miss.

Only call the raise here if you can play for all your chips on the flop should you pair, with a chance of getting doubled through. Unlikely here, both with your hand, opponent, and the depth of money.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a raising hand in EP? Is it a folding hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a raising hand, whether opening or against limpers. Limping with it is normally fine. Though you may want to fold it unless in the weakest games, until you are more skilled.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:15 AM

I can't see KQs folding for that tiny raise here, especially with money so deep. On the flop I would reraise to $30 and then be done with it if he came over the top. Very few hands other than AK or better can call a reraise on the flop. You may even fold out AK. If he cold calls you, only continue if you improve to a Q for two pair -- spiking a K probably will not improve you to the best hand.

You must be disciplined on the turn if you are to make this play and are called.

Here's my reasoning:

Your half-sized bet on the flop does not show strength and the opponent may be testing your resolve; the reraise shows the potential for you to have a set or overpair -- this is usually how I play a set except with a smaller reraise or a bigger bet out on the flop. Also, he almost surely does not have a set. Sets do not raise that big on that non-threatening a board.

I like the limp and call preflop, and I actually like the small bet on the flop because it gives you the option to reraise cheap. I think you will take down his pot 75% of the time.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see KQs folding for that tiny raise here, especially with money so deep. On the flop I would reraise to $30 and then be done with it if he came over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're building a hand to win a small pot or lose a bigger one?