Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Is this Fossilman WSOP hand in the ESPN coverage?

I have all of the WSOP coverage and I thought I had seen all of it, but I just remembered a particular hand and I don't remember seeing it. Now that I've moved all of the episodes from TIVO to tape & it's harder to find individual hands, can anyone tell me if this was shown & when? Thanks.

It was Day 6 with about 15 people left, but I never heard more details. Here's how Vorhaus on UB put it at the time:

"Wheels within wheels, right? Wheels within wheels. A few hands after the break, Fossilman raises to 120, and John Murphy reraises to 300. I'm sitting here thinking that I've started to detect a trend: Greg bets, John raises, Greg lays down. I guess Greg saw the same pattern, because this time he came back over the top for all his chips, and this time John laid down.

Now here's the punchline to the joke: Greg showed his hand: T-8 offsuit. I guess you'd say it was a purpose-raise and also a purpose-reveal. Greg wants John to think twice before he reraises so cavalierly. We can predict that we'll see this betting pattern again... but will it mean the same thing, and will Greg have the same cards?"

It was an interesting play to me for several reasons. I searched the archives to the best of my ability, but there was so much WSOP & Fossilman chatter at the time, I couldn't find any discussion of this hand or the coverage.

Thanks,

Napawino
Old 12-10-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Is this Fossilman WSOP hand in the ESPN coverage?

I too remember hearing about this hand after the WSOP, but never seeing it on TV. At the time someone said the hand would definitely make it on cause they like to show huge bluffs especially ones where the player shows it. For a moment I thought the other John Murphy hand where Greg played back at him on the turn with T8 or T9 from earlier in the tourney was what they were talking about, but Murphy then of course came back over the top and took it down on his own (semi)bluff...

So in short either this hand was not shown, details mixed up or never happened. Perhaps Greg can help explain it?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Yea, the hand was not shown.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fossilman raises to 120, and John Murphy reraises to 300... this time he came back over the top for all his chips, and this time John laid down... Greg showed his hand: T-8 offsuit...

[/ QUOTE ]

BALLS.

(and a good read) But again, BALLS to go with that read.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:24 PM

sometimes you just can't let them run you over. greg probably figured it was worth moving in to:

a) show murphy he can't bully

b) pick up all of those chips

i guess he figures that john will say to himself "wow, i raised this guy in the past and he has folded every time. now he comes over the top? he must have the goods" and he figures murphy can only call with huge hands.