Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Bad time for a slow play?

Pokerstars $11 + rebuys.

BB is 600.

Hero UTG+2 (t7500)
Villain CO (t24000)

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
All fold to Hero.
Hero raises to 2200.
All fold to Villain who calls.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks.
Villain checks.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets 2400.
Villain reraises to all-in.
Hero calls.

I lost. He made the A high straight.

Now, this is not generally a scary straight board, correct? But there was a straight draw and a flush draw. Despite having an apparent lock, can I afford to slowplay this? My thought was to appear afraid of the big cards, and hope the Villain makes a play at the pot. But, with such a short stack, was this a mistake?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Bad time for a slow play?

There's 5K in the pot and you have 5K behind. A flush draw already (marginally) has the odds to call an all in on the flop. All other hands are drawing to at most 4 outs and more likely something like .5. Okay, once in a while the board winds up with four hearts; whatever.

You have to slowplay this. Ni han, next tourney.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:13 PM

What was your read on your opponent? Unless he has been playing very loose and not paying much attention to other people, I don't like the slowplay here. I am assuming you have been playing TAG throughout the tournament. Any decent player would probably think that a raise from a TAG shortstacked UTG+2 probably meant a pretty good hand. That flop definetly looks like it hit your hand pretty well, and he very well may have thought you were trying to slowplay something.

Giving him free cards isn't going to let him make a hand that pays you off. He is either going to make a hand that beats you or one that folds to a big bet from you. Unless he is a LAG, I don't think it is likely for him to try to bully you out of the pot. I think you are just giving free cards to draws that could beat you. I think you should push at this flop and take down a nice sized pot.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your read on your opponent? Unless he has been playing very loose and not paying much attention to other people, I don't like the slowplay here. I am assuming you have been playing TAG throughout the tournament. Any decent player would probably think that a raise from a TAG shortstacked UTG+2 probably meant a pretty good hand. That flop definetly looks like it hit your hand pretty well, and he very well may have thought you were trying to slowplay something.

Giving him free cards isn't going to let him make a hand that pays you off. He is either going to make a hand that beats you or one that folds to a big bet from you. Unless he is a LAG, I don't think it is likely for him to try to bully you out of the pot. I think you are just giving free cards to draws that could beat you. I think you should push at this flop and take down a nice sized pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was my 3rd or 4th hand at the table as I had just been moved. So, I had no reads. And yes, I'm very TAG. I was hoping that he would catch two pair or had an A, and made a play at the pot.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:31 PM

Well for my 2 cents, I very rarely slow play any hand. I made this adjustment after 1) reading Supersystem 2) watching Gus Hansen play.

But, if you want to slowplay a hand, this is not the one to do it with. The smooth call of 1/3 of your chips should have signaled to the other guy that you probably had a hand that was going to be difficult to get you off of. If someone smooth calls 1/3 chips, I have to put them on AA,KK,AK, maybe QQ.

Like the previous poster said, the guy is only going to put chips in the pot if you're beat (if he's a good player, which we will assume).

With a straight and flush draw, I think this was a really bad time to slowplay.

I'd consider looking into the thoery of not slowplaying at all. I only slowplay when I flop a fullhouse or something similar. It's really helped my game.

I'll probably get flamed knowing how much so many people love to check raise and slowplay. I rarely do either.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:31 PM

I push here. Giving a free card on this drawing board is only going to hurt you.

You have about about 5300 left, with 5k in the pot, you want to win it right now.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:59 PM

(As others have written, including Sklansky & Malmuth), the necessary conditions to slowplay are BOTH:
1) A very good hand – likely to hold up as a winner
2) Likelyhood of another player making a 2nd best hand on future streets

These must also be weighed against the likelihood that the person who might be drawing might pay you off right now anyway. (Obviously there are some people that will pay you off with just a few outs, so there’s never a need to slowplay them.)

I’m not a big fan of the slow-play, but I think it’s reasonable to think that these conditions might have been met here considering the pre-flop raise & the board, so I’m not too critical of the slow-play. The thing you have to realize is that slow-playing – while sometimes very lucrative – generally increases your variance. Variance increases are generally not something I look for in tournaments.

Getting back to the specifics, I can’t come up with many hands that I would think would be dangerous here if you gave them a free card. The fact that this person played JT obviously opens up the possibilities a little more, so the list might include:
JT, QhJh, AhQh, AhJh, AhTh. Ah xh is possible depending on the player.

The list of hands that could improve but still be beat would include:
KQ, QQ, JJ, TT, any pocket pair (that they would have played for a raise)

The list of hands that would probably pay you off NOW includes:
KK, AK, 66, A6 (maybe)

After looking over this list, I think your slowplay wasn’t a bad play – but you’ve got to be willing to accept the variance IMHO.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:02 PM

i agree that you have to slowplay this hand, you're headsup- and you need to let the opponent make a second best hand- it's just poor luck that he turned the nuts on you, but even then you had outs to pair the board or case on the river-

nothing wrong with this play headsup i don't think.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM

I have a personal dislike for slowplaying anything unless I flop quads, or a very unobvious straight on a rainbow board.
That being said, I'd probably bet the straight to build the pot, whereas if I have the deck emptied with my quads I'll lay low.

I am of the opinion that when you slow play you give away the strength of your hand when you "wake up" on a later street and you scare your opponent away. (this is not always true, but mostly true)

With strong hands I prefer to build a pot from the flop on, so that my opponent feels tied to the pot and will call down to the end, or entice them to come over top of me on a later street.

In this case the pot is 5000, you have 5000. You can either bet it all now, or make a weak bet hoping he comes over top.

IMO the pot is big enough on the flop to want it now and you push.

Checking just allows him to improve for free and this is a dangerous board and while you have a great hand, its not the nuts and many cards are scare cards here, and you are going to get your chips in there anyhow.

A good rule of thumb is any two broadway cards on board gives a straight draw to your opponent (some go down to the 9 with this rule) and of course any two suited gives a flush draw.

On this board you have both draws and givien the pot size and your stack size, you have 1 bet to make.

All that being said, he probably calls and sucks out on you, but at least you don't feel dumb afterwards. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 PM

Bad spot to slowplay, I think.

Slowplaying is good when your opponent will improve to a 2nd best hand but not a better hand, or he’s likely to bluff. But here the only reasonable 2nd best hand would be if a pair hits a set (pretty unlikely), but its much more likely a gutshot or flush will hit. And bluffing is unlikely as there are both an A and K on the board in a hand where in EP player raised (and so is likely to have hit), so this is not a board many LPs will bluff at.

--Greg