Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: This is a very important post for me...

Maybe you can mollify your family a little by taking a class or two towards your major during your "semester off".
Old 12-23-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Transfer to Penn State, it's the best of the Big 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean best by the worst, then yes, transfer to Penn State! j/k

I go to IUP. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 PM

LOL. All you people saying "do it" are retarded. As someone who just dropped out of college, you really should stay in school for at least another semester.

[ QUOTE ]
ran hot at 10-20

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
won a 30 rebuy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like a really bad gimmick. Go back to school, work hard playing poker over next semester and the summer, and then decide. Also, earned 75k but only have 50? Well, the government will want 25k of that, and health insurance won't be cheap either. Have a 5 buyin downswing and your life will suck.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 PM

Do it. You're only young once. It sounds like you've got your head on straight, so take a crack at it and have an f'n awesome experience.

Did I say you're only young once? Let me say it again because when you're 34 like me, you'd give just about anything to have another crack at your youth. Seriously, as long as you're sure you'll go back to school, there's absolutely nothing wrong with living it up and taking a crack at your dream. You've got your whole life to do the 9-5 and believe me it is a grind.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 AM

Definitely do it. You only live once.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who knows how long the current poker environment will last. legislation and/or the advent of bots could kill online poker at any time, so the poker landscape could look very different by the time he gets out of college. if he really wants to do it he needs to do it now; make hay while the sun shines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly. Every time the waters receded after every previous high-water mark for poker, they wound up at a higher level than before that flood. The poker economy is not going to increase without limit, but after it peaks and withdraws things will still be better than they were before the current boom. And then the next boom will come along.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:53 PM

(1) You're just 18, and that poses something of a problem for live game play in most jurisdictions.

(2) New York is not the ideal place for a live-game poker pro to live. Los Angeles would be much, much better for you, assuming you could play in the cardrooms without getting in trouble for being underaged. Las Vegas or the SF Bay Area would also be good.

(3) If the poker would just be a way to make a living while you enjoyed life at home, I rather think that Chesspain is right: don't quit school; transfer to somewhere you'll be more happy.

(4) And sometimes it can take a while to find your groove in school. You've been there just one semester.

(5) You can just about always come back to school (unless you wind up married and with kids to support) I dropped out when I was 18, went back to school when I was 22, graduated when I was 25 and went on to graduate school, and dropped out again when I was 29. Now, at 46, I've been in school again for a year ... and have been making my bloody-awful expensive tuition by playing cards.

In your shoes, knowing what I know at 46, I think I would stay where I was at least until the summer break, getting a full year under my belt. Things could change. You could find a girlfriend. You could find your groove. You could win a seat in an online-sponsored tournament in Aruba and win it and make a million dollars. If things look tough right now, just remember that This, Too, Shall Pass. If nothing else, having the poker-playing escape to New York as an option may give you the strength to carry on where you are.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:49 PM

I think this sounds like a terrible idea. If you don't like your living arrangement, change it. Getting back into college after taking time off is tougher than you might think.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:59 AM

I say stick with college cause if you go on to chase your poker dreams and fail, you are screwed. Get a degree and career and have poker as a hobby not as a job.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:46 PM

Now that I think about it, why not push through spring semester/quarter and do this in the summer? Hell, do it every summer. It's the best of both worlds - you're staying on track in school and your "summer job" is something you enjoy.