Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Four Kinds of Atheists.

[ QUOTE ]

An agnotsic is still a person who does not believe in god precisely because he witholds judgement.

Hence, what I said earlier, an Agnostic is an Atheist without conviction, ie he does not ASSERT anything

[/ QUOTE ]
Theism / atheism is a matter of belief.

Agnostisism cocerns the nature of such beliefs.

I am an atheist but I belief the existance or non-existance of God cannot be proved. Iam an atheist and an agnostic

Some theists are also agnostics.

Some theists believe the existance of God can be proved, they are non-agnostic theists.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some theists believe the existance of God can be proved, they are non-agnostic theists.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I think too. Although, I just used the term "gnostic theist" -- which could be misinterpreted, especially within Christianity, but it seemed proper.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:02 AM

"Not believing something is not an affirmative act, it is the lack of affirming it's opposite.
Saying I do not believe there is a god is denying a belief.
Saying I believe that there is no god is asserting a blief."

Your reasoning is circular. The fact that you can see what I wrote and not understand it is not the most shocking part though. The most shocking part is you translating what I said into you cirular position. Any peorson who claims to be an "agnostic", for his or her position to be possible, must "suspend judment". That mean when you ask an agnostic whether or not they believe in God they will remain silent because they see your question as NONSENSE.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 AM

As I have stated here before, IMO whether or not one is taken seriously is irrelevant.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Those who deep down want there to be no God so they don't have to answer to him

2. Those who feel that if God is as portrayed in the bible he is undeserving of worship.

3. Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue agianst the necessity of a God to explain things.

4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

Only the fourth type of atheist should be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear, because I belong into group 4.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM

I am the group 4 type and it took a while for me to accept it. The key thing for me was consciousness. I already had my doubts about god, but once I realized that is was possible for science to understand consciousness, it became clear that everything we experience can be explained without talking about god.

We don't understand everything about consciousness yet, but it is only a matter of time.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM

Show me how my reasoning was circular, don't just claim it. But, you won't be able to because you have probably not taken a logic class and did not realize that what you quoted was a series of propositions that were written in logical form (ie.a is b, b is not c..etc.) to illustrate a point. There wasn't even any reasoning in what you quoted, just identities. In what you quoted and in the rest of what I wrote about, 'judgement' wasn't even at issue. And the fact that you are so resistant to and repulsed by what I said is at best interesting. Since, in reality we were only debating the definitions of words, nothing else. And a debate of definitions ends when one party simply says 'that's not how I use the word,' which seems to be what you have done.

Another thing, since you are a new poster here I have this advice for you. Do not go around calling people stupid or implying that they are stupid, because, at this forum most people are probably smarter than you, almost everyone who posts is a good deal above average, and no one is stupid.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't understand everything about consciousness yet, but it is only a matter of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No neccessarily.