Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Default STD testing

So my new girlfriend made me go get tested. She also wanted me to provide "documentation" that I actually went but thats another story.

Anyways I went to Planned Parenthood and asked them to test me for everything. But they basically said they could only test me for 4 things if I dont have any sores, warts, etc. So they did blood and urine tests for chlymadia, syphilis, gonorrehea, and HIV. So is this true? Why cant they test me for herpes and other stuff?

BTW, I also got tested like a year and a half ago at a different place and they also only tested me for these 4. When people say they got tested for everything is this what they mean?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: STD testing

Did you ask them why they couldn't?

They can test for herpes via the blood test. Not sure why they didn't. Maybe because planned parenthood doesn't pay for that? I just had it done myself through my primary care physician (with good results thank god).

Do you have a primary care physician? If you do, he'll be able to run the test for you. As embarrassing as it may be, you might consider asking your parents to get you tested. I can't imagine a good parent who would turn down their son for something like that.

I would definitely make sure you get tested for herpes. From what I've read, 1 in 5 adults have it. HPV I believe is even more common.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:46 AM

They can test for everything.

HIV, Hepatitus, and syphilis are what the big three life threatening STD's. Pretty much everything else is an inconvenience that you don't want.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ask them why they couldn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked specifically about HPV, and they said theres no test for males. I didnt ask specifically about herpes but I will when I call for the results.

I dont know why planned parenthood wouldnt test for everything because it wasn't even free. I would have had to pay $65 if my insurance didn't cover it.

This [censored] is so annoying. All these groups constantly spout this get tested crap but then they make it as confusing as possible to actually do it.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just had it done myself through my primary care physician (with good results thank god).

[/ QUOTE ]

What is everything that they tested you for?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Default HPV

Also, I read that something like 90% of sexually active people contract HPV at some point, and it is sometimes used as a test for females just to determine if they're sexually active. Is this true? If there's no test for males, what are you supposed to do?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: HPV

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I read that something like 90% of sexually active people contract HPV at some point, and it is sometimes used as a test for females just to determine if they're sexually active. Is this true? If there's no test for males, what are you supposed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

cross your fingers or just whack off i think. a doctor told me that condoms don't even protect 100% against hpv, because the pussy juices will often drip past where the condom covers you. scary stuff.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have HPV. I got it from my ex wife.

I noticed some small visible warts, so I went to the doctor to find out if that's what it was. They had to do a biopsy of one of the warts and send it off to the lab.

I also was tested for HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis, all of which (thankfully) came back negative.

Also, it is correct that testing for "everything" DOES NOT include testing for HPV. There is, apparently, no test that can be done in males unless there are visible warts.

Females can be tested for HPV by getting a pap smear, but, from what I understand, that only detects the "high risk" types of HPV (potentially cancer causing), not the "low risk" types (wart causing).
Old 06-22-2005, 05:10 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

Wow, no replies yet. I figured I'd get at least a few smartass comments. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, no replies yet. I figured I'd get at least a few smartass comments. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, It's been awkwardly silent around me all day since I read this post.